Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Geoff Fortytwo <g4...@snowball.com> on 2001/10/18 07:44:51 UTC

Nulls in Torque

I found a short thread titled "Nulls in Torque" from way back in early June
2001 which discusses the problem of setting and getting null values with
columns represented using java ints. I wasn't able to find any mention of a
solution though. My main questions are:

Is there a way to tell torque to generate the classes with Integer fields
instead of int fields for all "INTEGER" fields which can be null?

If not then is there any way to set a column to null or determine if it's
null (like isNull() and setNull() in java.sql.ResultSet). This wouldn't be
my preferred solution, but it would work.

If there simply isn't any way to set and get nulls than is this one of the
issues that's going to be fixed in the next version of torque?

Re: Nulls in Torque

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
Geoff Fortytwo wrote:

> I found a short thread titled "Nulls in Torque" from way back in early June
> 2001 which discusses the problem of setting and getting null values with
> columns represented using java ints. I wasn't able to find any mention of a
> solution though. My main questions are:
>
> Is there a way to tell torque to generate the classes with Integer fields
> instead of int fields for all "INTEGER" fields which can be null?
>
> If not then is there any way to set a column to null or determine if it's
> null (like isNull() and setNull() in java.sql.ResultSet). This wouldn't be
> my preferred solution, but it would work.
>
> If there simply isn't any way to set and get nulls than is this one of the
> issues that's going to be fixed in the next version of torque?

It probably get fixed in some future version of torque.  It will be
fixed as soon as someone needs it fixed, like yourself, and they
implement a solution that is acceptable to the rest of the developers.

john mcnally