Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Richard Emberson <re...@edgedynamics.com> on 2004/12/02 22:50:31 UTC

developers: table prefix

This subject has been kicked around recently. Basically, there is
an easy way to do it but if none of the Slide developers are interested
then it will never go anywhere.

How to add table prefixes to Slide's database table names - the
simple way:

Alter the build.xml file so that it does a filtered copy to a new
directory "build/gen_src" prior to compilation.
  It is from this directory that the
sources are then compiled. Each table name in the source has
the string "@TABLE_PREFIX@" prepened to it. The build.properties
file has a new property:

table.prefix=<value>

The "value" can be, for example, empty resulting in the current
table names or one might set the value to "SLIDE_" which would
result in that string being prepended to all table names.

Additional benefits:

One can now add properties to the build.properties file:

version.major=2
version.minor=1
version.release=0

which could be used during the filtered copy to embed the
Slide version number is some class which can be accessed at
runtime.

The build date, who built the code, compile host architecture,
java version and vender doing compilation, cvs version tag, etc.
can also be generated by ant
and used during the filtered copy to add more runtime accessible
information. For those embedding Slide in a J2EE application,
this information would then be accessible via a JMX page.

None of this is hard to do, its just a question of identifying
someone (with checkin ability) to take the first step - altering
the build process.

Richard

may contain confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.

Re: developers: table prefix

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:50:31 -0800, Richard Emberson
<re...@edgedynamics.com> wrote:

> This subject has been kicked around recently. Basically, there is
> an easy way to do it but if none of the Slide developers are interested
> then it will never go anywhere.

I humbly, but strongly disagree. There is no difference between you
and me as a Slide developer, except that I have commit karma to CVS.
So, *you* are a Slide developer and other Slide developers are
interested as well. So, your way of committing something is a bit more
involved as you will have to supply a patch. But if it is a nice one
there is no reason why it shouldn't be accepted. In this sense the
Slide committers are your servants as they carry out your
changes/patches.

> How to add table prefixes to Slide's database table names - the
> simple way:
>
> Alter the build.xml file so that it does a filtered copy to a new
> directory "build/gen_src" prior to compilation.
>   It is from this directory that the
> sources are then compiled. Each table name in the source has
> the string "@TABLE_PREFIX@" prepened to it. The build.properties
> file has a new property:
>
> table.prefix=<value>
>
> The "value" can be, for example, empty resulting in the current
> table names or one might set the value to "SLIDE_" which would
> result in that string being prepended to all table names.
>
> Additional benefits:
>
> One can now add properties to the build.properties file:
>
> version.major=2
> version.minor=1
> version.release=0
>
> which could be used during the filtered copy to embed the
> Slide version number is some class which can be accessed at
> runtime.
>
> The build date, who built the code, compile host architecture,
> java version and vender doing compilation, cvs version tag, etc.
> can also be generated by ant
> and used during the filtered copy to add more runtime accessible
> information. For those embedding Slide in a J2EE application,
> this information would then be accessible via a JMX page.
>
> None of this is hard to do, its just a question of identifying
> someone (with checkin ability) to take the first step - altering
> the build process.

As already said, the first step is to provide a patch which can be
done by anyone, e.g. by you.

Looking forward to patches :)

Oliver