Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/27 16:27:07 UTC

Chainsaw feature requests

Hi,

I'm using chainsaw for a few weeks now. We use it to look at the xml files
that are generated by our application. If you can find the time, it would be
nice to have the following features:

- reload the xml file from the context menu when you right-click on the tab
(or real-time reloading of the xml file - but then a pause button could be
needed). It is annoying that I need to close chainsaw and start it again to
see the updated xml file.
- be able to turn off the question to really exit
- In the left tree view: Do an 'AND' operation if you select "Focus on ..."
while another item has "Focus on...".
- In the main part of the view: Select a logging line in the list, right
click and be able to say "Ignore this class". Even better would be to also
add "Ignore this package". It would help especially if you have many classes
and packages that you don't have to go looking in the list on the left to
find that class.

Less important:
- search wizard to avoid having to know the exact syntax to do queries.
- saving queries in a list

I hope someone finds the time to do this. The first one is the most
important one, that one would help me a lot.

kind regards,

Wim

Re: Chainsaw feature requests

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
On 28/04/2006, at 12:27 AM, Wim Deblauwe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using chainsaw for a few weeks now. We use it to look at the
> xml files
> that are generated by our application. If you can find the time, it
> would be
> nice to have the following features:
>
> - reload the xml file from the context menu when you right-click on
> the tab
> (or real-time reloading of the xml file - but then a pause button
> could be
> needed). It is annoying that I need to close chainsaw and start it
> again to
> see the updated xml file.

Silly Workaround #4768:  Try clicking the delete icon (CTRL
+BACKSPACE), to purge all the events in the tab, and then reload the
file the normal way, I think that will work.   Chainsaw does not add
events to the tab it already knows about, so by deleting them, it may
fool it into allowing them to be re-read.

cheers,

Paul