Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jeff Brown <br...@ociweb.com> on 2001/11/01 01:49:01 UTC

Re: assertions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <st...@iseran.com>
To: <an...@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: assertions

> Before adding it to the Java task I can see some issues
>
> 1. what happens when run on Java < 1.4? I would like the code to warn and
> continue, whereas right now it will pass the args to java which will fail.

A complication I see with trying to be smart about wether or not to let them
request assertions is that the vm they are trying to invoke isn't
necessarily the same vm that the task is executing in, so doing something
like checking for the existence of classes that were introduced in 1.4, may
not be reliable.  The classes in question may not exist in the vm that ant
is executing in, but assertions may very well be supported by the vm that is
going to execute.  The other way around is a possbility too.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Jeff