Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by soodyogesh <so...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/09 16:27:48 UTC

SolrCloud how to spread out to multiple nodes

since amount of data we would be indexing would increase over period of time
(read 100-200G and more) we would like to use SOlrCloud.

Now I have been reading posts and wikipages plus trying things on my own to
test.

to simplify i would  create a collection with n number of shards where
n=lets say 10. I would start everything on single machine to start with,
however as my index grow I would like to spread out those Shards to multiple
machine.

My question is how do I spread shards (one collection) from one machine to
multiple machine. It would be great help if some one can provide me steps to
test this.

Re: SolrCloud how to spread out to multiple nodes

Posted by soodyogesh <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Im going to give this  a try

Re: SolrCloud how to spread out to multiple nodes

Posted by Jeff Wartes <jw...@whitepages.com>.
If you¹re only concerned with moving your shards, (rather than changing
the number of shards), I¹d:

1. Add a new server and fire up Solr pointed to the same ZooKeeper with
the same config

At this point the new server won¹t be indexing anything, but will still
technically be part of the SolrCloud cluster since it points to the same
ZK.

2. Add the shard to the node by making it a replica.

The CoreAdmin API is necessary for this, since the Collections API doesn¹t
support changing the number of replicas on the fly yet. See
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud#Creating_cores_via_CoreAdmin

3. After the new server has finished replicating the shard, you can delete
the shard from the original server. Again, use the CoreAdmin command
against the specific server. http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#UNLOAD

If you¹re comfortable with downtime, you could accomplish the same thing
by physically copying the shard¹s index files, but I think you¹d have to
make some careful edits to the core.properties before you bring things
back up again.