Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/21 20:38:23 UTC

VOTE: Remove JtestR support

As discussed earlier, JtestR integration has become a maintenance burden
that I can no longer sustain in my limited open-source time.  In case you
haven't followed, the main issue is that JtestR is only compatible with a
restricted set of dependencies (notably rspec 1.3.0 and only up to JRuby
1.5.4) which conflicts with buildr's own set of dependencies.   There is no
plan <http://markmail.org/message/ifjbbh6ppyufvxmi> to upgrade JtestR to
rspec 2.0 and combined with the very few users actually relying on JtestR
means the feature doesn't support its own weight.

VOTE
[ ] +1 Agree to remove JtestR support
[ ] +/- 0  No opinion
[ ] -1 Disagree to remove JTestR support (and propose solution to JtestR
maintenance)

If anybody wants to step up and maintain JtestR integration, I would advise
converting it into a plugin separate from Buildr's core.   I believe a
separate release cycle would probably serve users better in any case.

thanks,
alex

Re: VOTE: Remove JtestR support

Posted by Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>.
Nonbinding +1 from me. I originally used JTestR when I started using buildr (long ago), but I found that buildr's built-in rspec support was better.

Rhett

Posted by "Jesus M. Rodriguez" <jm...@gmail.com>.
+1 as I didn't even know JTestR was there.

Posted by Dominic Graefen <do...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Dominic Graefen

Posted by Chris Samuel <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Chris Samuel <cs...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Antoine Toulme <an...@lunar-ocean.com>.
+1

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As discussed earlier, JtestR integration has become a maintenance burden
> that I can no longer sustain in my limited open-source time.  In case you
> haven't followed, the main issue is that JtestR is only compatible with a
> restricted set of dependencies (notably rspec 1.3.0 and only up to JRuby
> 1.5.4) which conflicts with buildr's own set of dependencies.   There is no
> plan <http://markmail.org/message/ifjbbh6ppyufvxmi> to upgrade JtestR to
> rspec 2.0 and combined with the very few users actually relying on JtestR
> means the feature doesn't support its own weight.
>
> VOTE
> [ ] +1 Agree to remove JtestR support
> [ ] +/- 0  No opinion
> [ ] -1 Disagree to remove JTestR support (and propose solution to JtestR
> maintenance)

+1

--
Cheers,