Posted to dev@quickstep.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2016/04/17 22:28:54 UTC

Apache Quickstep (incubating) on-boarding

Hi!

as many of you may know by now all of the infrastructure
required for an ASF project is now available to Quickstep:

Here's what needs to happen next:
    0. Make sure to sign and submit your ICLA to ASF ASAP.
    ICLA is a statement from you that enables us to finalize
    provisioning of your ASF ID and enable you to commit to
    the Quickstep repository. It is a legally binding document
    and as such please make sure you understand what you're
    signing up for. If you are employed somewhere other than
    Pivotal please make sure to talk to your supervisor before
    signing ICLA. The document itself is available at:
         https://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.pdf
    Please make sure to fill in all the information, sign and submit it
    to secretary@apache.org. DO MAKE SURE to include
    your desired ASF ID on the ICLA. In order to verify whether your
    favorite ID is already taken or not go here:
        http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html
   and look it up. This official ASF ID will be your primary ID for
   accessing things like Git and most core ASF infrastructure.
   This is how your are know to ASF officially. Btw, you can manage
    it at http://id.apache.org.

   1. There are, however, a few other IDs that you will have to have.
   Those don't require ICLA on file so you can go ahead and get them
   now. It is a good idea to have all of your IDs be the same (although
   they don't have to be). Here's a list of services where you need to
   register ASAP:
        JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Signup!default.jspa
        Confluence: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/signup.action
        ReviewBoard: https://reviews.apache.org/account/register/

   2. Make sure to subscribe yourself to the following official project
   mailing lists:
            dev@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
            user@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
            commits@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
            issues@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
    these are *public* mailing lists that are open to anybody. All
    communication about project development is expected to
    happen in the open mostly on dev@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
    (you can see, for example, that this very email is sent to dev@).
    In order to subscribe yourself to all these MLs make sure to
    send an empty email to [ML name]-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org

    send an empty email to dev-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org

   3. One exception to the public communication rule is:
           private@quickstep.incubator.apache.org
    If you happen to be on the list of initial committers:
           https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/QuickstepProposal
    make sure to subscribe to that ML as well BUT ONLY AFTER
    you submit an ICLA and recieve your official apache ID.
    Use that ID to subscribe to the private mailing list. IOW, make
    sure that the email used to subscribe to private mailing list
    is <your ID>@apache.org.

    Also, keep in mind NEVER EVER to forward emails from
    private mailing list outside or CC folks directly on the
    emails going to the private mailing list.

   4. Here's an easy rule of thumb on how to use all these mailing lists:
         * by default use dev@quickstep.incubator.apache.org. Apache prides
            itself on very open governance model and hence most of the time
            usage of dev@quickstep is exactly the right thing to do.
Even if you have
            questions about the ASF or boarding process -- send them to
            dev@quickstep. All your mentors are reading that list and
will be more
            than happy to help.

          * don't use private@quickstep for some time. Seriously --
for the first
             few months just be in listen mode. This mailing list is
only useful
             for discussing *really* sensitive things like security exploits or
             deciding to change the composition of the project's community by
             adding or removing committers and PPMC members.

    5. Once you sign up for all the required services start
familiarizing yourself
    with the infrastructure that will become a single source of truth
for Quickstep
    development. This includes:
          5.1. Main ASF Git repo:
              http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git
          This is where you will be committing code day in and day out
          (and yes the above URL is what you give to git clone command)

          5.2. Read-only Github mirror:
               http://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep
          useful for sending and receiving pull requests and also reviewing
          the incoming pull requests.

          5.3. ASF JIRA:
               https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QUICKSTEP
          this is the single most important place to keep track of any change
          that is happening within the project

          5.4. ASF Wiki:
             https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/QUICKSTEP
          This one of the few resources you can start contributing to right
          away. In fact, don't delay -- just let me know your Wiki ID and start
          adding pages. If you need inspiration take it from Geode:
                https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Index

          5.5. Reviewboard:
                https://reviews.apache.org/account/login/?next=/dashboard/
          This is a place for peer-reviews. E.g.:
                https://reviews.apache.org/r/38060/

          5.6. Our glorious website (that will get even more glorious soon):
                http://quickstep.incubator.apache.org/
          and the source code for our website:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-quickstep-site.git

If you have any questions -- please don't hesitate to ask on
dev@quickstep.incubator.apache.org.

Thanks,
Roman (on behalf of Quickstep mentor team).

Re: Apache Quickstep (incubating) on-boarding

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks Roman for all your help with getting Quickstep on Apache.

Two quick notes:

#1: The ICLA that you had for Pivotal (to get you the public github repo) doesn’t transfer to Apache. Hence the request for the new ICLA below.

#2: Here are the address to send emails to get you on the official lists:

dev-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org <ma...@quickstep.incubator.apache.org>,
user-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org <ma...@quickstep.incubator.apache.org>,
commits-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org <ma...@quickstep.incubator.apache.org>,
issues-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org <ma...@quickstep.incubator.apache.org>,
private-subscribe@quickstep.incubator.apache.org <ma...@quickstep.incubator.apache.org>

After filling the ICLA, I just sent one email with all these addressed on the To: list and  that got me on all of them. (You do get a confirmation email from each list that you have to respond to finish the authentication.)

Cheers,
Jignesh

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Thanks for kicking this off, Roman.

This is to confirm that I have subscribed to the mailing lists.

Let me introduce myself as a project mentor. In case you’re unfamiliar with the Apache incubation process, the job of a mentor is to teach you guys about the Apache Way, be a source of advice, but not to boss you around. Kind of like a parent. You guys need to figure out your own way of doing things, but I’m happy to let you know how others have done it, if you ask.

You can find out more about me on my home page: http://people.apache.org/~jhyde/

Julian

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Dear Julian,

This makes sense. All the contributors have signed the Pivotal ICLA so this simply pushes the cloning/switching date. We are all eager to move to the new Apache system, but if possible would be great to do it at a point that allows a more natural transition.

But, if it is too late then that is ok — we’ll work through it.

Regards,
Jignesh

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
As a committer, of course you can process the pull requests in whatever order makes best sense. If you need to, you can rebase each pull request before you merge it. Usually it will rebase without conflicts.

If you are fond of using github’s “Merge pull request” button, you’ll have to let that one go. You simply can’t use that if you’re committing into Apache. Sorry!

Julian

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>> Please give me an example of something that may be painful.
>
> We have to go back to each PR and issue them back again in the same order.
>  I don’t see an easy way to do this in github (e.g. reopen a closed PR against a new repo).
> Maybe I’m missing something.

One of two of us clearly is ;-) As far as I'm concerned, the # of
outstanding PRs
on your repo is a grand total of 8:
    https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/quickstep/pulls

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Apache Quickstep (incubating) on-boarding

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Yup — that is the plan.

Cheers,
Jignesh

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Apache Quickstep (incubating) on-boarding

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Yes, some combination of ‘git rebase’ and ‘git merge’, then ‘git push'. (Always remembering that as a committer you are gatekeeper for IP.)

Julian

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I agree with Roman. There’s not much information content in a PR. For example, take https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/quickstep/pull/177 <https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/quickstep/pull/177>.

As a committer, you can do the following:

$ git remote add pivotalsoftware https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/quickstep.git <https://github.com/pivotalsoftware/quickstep.git>
$ git fetch pivotalsoftware
$ git checkout master
$ git merge —ff-only pivotalsoftware/use-cache
$ git push origin master

The pull request tells you the source branch (pivotalsoftware/use-cache) plus the fact that the requester consented to contribute the code to Apache.

It doesn’t matter that you put the pull request into apache/quickstep rather than pivotalsoftware/quickstep, as long as  you have consent.

Julian

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
Dear Roman and Julian,

It will be a pain as we have to sync back in the same order as there are dependent PRs.

The cloning came somewhat of a surprise and caught us in the middle of a sequence of PR that are targeting a milestone that is about 10 days off (getting TPC-H running end-to-end before the students get off to the end-of semester sprint).

If this is hard, then that is ok. We can do as you suggest, but it sets us back a bit.

Regards,
Jignesh

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@pivotal.io>.
I can certainly do this.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Committers have write access to https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git <https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git>. That is what they commit to. A few minutes later, the change should appear in the Apache mirror. Non-committers tend to use happily use the Apache mirror, and make pull requests on it.

origin	https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-quickstep.git (push)

One surprising, and yes, a bit irritating, wrinkle of pull requests is that you as a committer can’t close them. (Remember, only Apache admins have access to https://github.com/apache <https://github.com/apache>.) But there is a workaround. When you commit pull request #17, put the line

Posted by Zuyu Zhang <zz...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Roman,

Thank you for setting up the Apache repo.

I have three basic questions:

   - Could you please point out the basic workflow of how to contribute
   Apache incubating projects for us? Does a merged PR in Github mirror
   automatically sync with git://git.apache.org/incubator-quickstep.git?
   - Do we the committers need the write permission to the Github mirror (
   https://github.com/apache/incubator-quickstep)? I am already in the
   Apache committers team, but was wondering if we need a team dedicate to
   Quickstep.
   - Does the Github mirror support any CI test, e.g., Travis?

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers,
Zuyu
​