Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by John Mani <jm...@comverge.com> on 2006/06/08 00:48:56 UTC

Weird problem with dataTable, commandButtons, inputText

Hi

I am seeing a weird problem:
I have a page that has a toplevel panelGrid with 2 columns.
  In the left column, I have a panelGroup containing a bunch of textfields for text entry and
then a commandButton with an associated action
  In the right column, I have a dataTable and a bunch of inputTexts below the dataTable.

The action for the commandButton in the left panel is called "backer.search" and
invokes the search method in the backer bean. I'm logging a message in that
search() method, plus this method does a search and sets up the entries to be displayed
in the dataTable in the right column.

Now, the inputTexts in the right column have values that go like "backer.selection.firstName"
and so on ... where backer.getSelection() returns a Customer object that has a getFirstName()
method.

The weird behaviour is that: if the above inputTexts have values like above : i.e., "backer.selection.firstName"
etc. the commandButton doesn't seem to fire the search() method - the log message doesn't get
printed and the dataTable is not filled up. However, if the inputTexts have values like
"backer.firstName" (where backer.getFirstName() is a method that returns a simple string), the
commandButton does fire the search() method.

I'm at a loss - as these two seem completely independent.

Sorry for the long and rambling mail, but any clues?

-john

Re: Weird problem with dataTable, commandButtons, inputText

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
Okay, so I'm not the only one experiencing this. Perhaps it is worth a
look at the myfaces source, to see why there is no error message logged
when this happens.

Posted by John Mani <jm...@comverge.com>.

Posted by Jeff Bischoff <jb...@klkurz.com>.
John,