Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/08/26 23:59:19 UTC

[all] [commons] Dependency diagrams

Hi all,
a first shot at a graphical representation of dependencies of
commons projects:
  http://cvs.apache.org/~pietsch/dependencies.html

Warning: The images are big (~2M), and it's not very pretty
yet. Some more canonicalization of dependency and project
names would help too. If a Mavan guru could tell me the
difference between <id>, <name> and <groupId> in the project.xml
dependencies...

J.Pietschmann

Re: [all] [commons] Dependency diagrams

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Hmm, this very interesting. And, while its always in our nature to
categorize, in terms of introducing more stability into organization,
and releases, do you think it would be wise to consider that there's a
commons "core" of projects for which dependency should be managed in a
more organized strategy. Say:

commons level 1:
	may not depend on > level 1 components

commons level 2:
	may not depend on > level 2 components

commons level 3:
	may not depend on all levels

Then one could logically establish major releases at each level in such
a way to control what might appear to some to be "over-versioning"?

thoughts?
-Mark Diggory

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
interesting :)

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
"J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> wrote on 27/08/2003 07:59:19 AM:

> names would help too. If a Mavan guru could tell me the
> difference between <id>, <name> and <groupId> in the project.xml
> dependencies...
I'm no guru, but

id == combination of groupId and artifactId. Should be unique
name == some name you give to your project. Almost meaningless in
uniqueness.
groupId == the unique identifier of the group producing the artifact. e.g.
apache, ibm etc.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting