Posted to user@struts.apache.org by loinheart <sh...@hotmail.com> on 2012/04/21 18:42:35 UTC

event On struts

Hey hiiiiiiiiiiii

Im a new in struts so please kindly tell me how to create event on struts
control like a dot net Control ........?

I want to perform a  selected index action on dropedown so please any tell
me how to perform to this ......?

RE: [struts-user] event On struts

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

Struts is a MVC framework, that kind of feature would be a update you make in
the view. The view is typically JSP a scripted HTML, similar to .NET apps. Since
there are no controls (we call them tags) that I know of that support that out
of the box, you would us a JavaScript trigger to call the submit. IIRC that is
what .NET does.

> I want to perform a  selected index action on dropedown so
> please any tell me how to perform to this ......?

See above.

A general note of caution, .NET applications store a plethora of state
information in the user's session. Many including my self feel that is a bad
practice as it breaks the natural navigation of a site.

-Jason

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

RE: event On struts

Posted by Steve Higham <st...@sjlt.co.uk>.
Hi,

Struts is very different to .NET. The underlying technologies are used in a
very open fashion. The good thing is that this means you can do pretty much
anything you like. The downside is that you need to understand the
underlying technologies and do some legwork.

As suggested you can use embed JavaScript in the HTML generated by Struts
from JSP or a similar technology. You need to create this JavaScript.
However you can use whatever your favourite JS library is to simplify
things. I've got some code using JQuery that parses the HTML and adds
JavaScript extensions to standard HTML controls. This provides the basic
mechanism to react to user selection etc.

If you want to, you could then make something like a JSON call back to the
Server. Struts can react to this using appropriate Result types. I think
there's a plug-in somewhere that helps this process but I haven't used it.

Enjoy...

Steve

Re: event On struts

Posted by "M. Rakowski" <ma...@rakowski.biz>.
since Struts is an action-oriented framework, i don't think it is
possible. Maybe with one of the ajax-plugins?
Or just try apache wicket.

---