Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Alok, Niraj" <ni...@gs.com> on 2006/03/20 06:12:23 UTC

James rejecting mails

Hi,

We are trying to build an application using james server to capture the
large number of emails we receive to perform an analysis and cut down on the
automated processes which send the max number of mails plus do some other
tasks as well.

Currently james server is running on my local desktop and I have set a
redirect rule in my outlook to redirect all incoming mails to my outlook to
james server.

The setup of mail ids is as follows:

James server mail id: abc@fullmachinename.com
Outlook group mail id: jamesgroup@company.com

The 1st mail id is a part of the group mail id. (Infact, the group mail id
is just a wrapper around the actual james mail id as it contains only that
mail id as its member)

When I send a mail from my outlook to the james mail id, the  mail is
captured by james.
When I send a mail from my outlook to the group mail id, the  mail is
captured by james.
When I send a mail from a unix box to the james mail id, the mail is
captured by james.
When I send a mail from a unix box to the group mail id, the mail is not
captured by james.

That last line is where I have a problem. I don't know why it doesn't reach
james.
I checked up the code of james and though I am not completely sure, my hunch
is james rejects mails from mail ids which it can't verify.
Our unix boxes are setup with mail ids which can send mails but cant receive
any. Perhaps james tries to verify the mail id from the unix box, and since
its not a valid mail id, it rejects that mail. The problem here is why does
it work when I send mail from unix to directly the james mail id?

I hence basically want james to capture all the emails from any email id,
verifiable or not.

I have been trying to resolve this for a number of days now but have been
unsucessful. Any insights would be tremendously helpful as because of this
drawback, we are not able to put this application into production as a
redirect rule in outlook is not the best way to automatically send mails to
james.

Please help and let me know if you need any further inputs !

Thanks,
Niraj