Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/03 06:23:26 UTC

redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

In migrating to wicket 1.5 from 1.4 I used this to redirect to my error page when an exception is thrown.
But when I do this it is trying to instantiate a new copy of the page rather than using the one I pass in.

		IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(new ClientErrorPage(ex));
		return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider, RedirectPolicy.ALWAYS_REDIRECT);

Re: redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.
I don't have a no arg constructor, and it was blowing up trying to construct the page.

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
hi martin,
WebPage exceptionPage = new NotifyUserOfException(ex);
 IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(page);
return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider /*,
 RenderPageRequestHandler.RedirectPolicy.XYZ */ );

he actually means page instance not found in page store and new page
instance is created ,the above code is breakable in the case when page
has setstatelesshint(true)   or somehow it can also be broken if you
have a zero constructor in error page,you can also reproduce this
problem

page.setstatelesshint(false) will fix the problem as it will guarantee
the page is stored i think

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by "throws away the page". It should work.
>
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I decided to just put the exception in the session and just grab it from there.
>
> Another place to put it is RequestCycle#metaData. This way you wont
> have to clean it.
>

>> Douglas
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM, vineet semwal wrote:
>>
>>> you should also do page.setStatelessHint(false)
>>>
>>> Page page=new ClientErrorPage(ex);
>>> IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(page);
>>> page.setStatelessHint(false);
>>> return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider, RedirectPolicy.ALWAYS_REDIRECT);

>>> --
>>> thank you,
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Vineet Semwal

> Martin Grigorov
> jWeekend
> Training, Consulting, Development
> http://jWeekend.com

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.
See below:
On Mar 4, 2012, at 7:29 AM, Martin Grigorov wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "throws away the page". It should work.

What I mean is that the even thought I "new up" a page and pass the into the the PageProvider/RequestHander.
It still does a Page.class.newInstance()

> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I decided to just put the exception in the session and just grab it from there.
>
> Another place to put it is RequestCycle#metaData. This way you wont
> have to clean it.

Cooll I'll give it a whirl.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
you should also do page.setStatelessHint(false)

Page page=new ClientErrorPage(ex);
 IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(page);
page.setStatelessHint(false);
 return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider, RedirectPolicy.ALWAYS_REDIRECT);

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah Martin Grigorov recomended that I do just that:
>
>> WebPage exceptionPage = new NotifyUserOfException(ex);
>> IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(page);
>> return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider /*,
>> RenderPageRequestHandler.RedirectPolicy.XYZ */ );
>

> But I finding that it throws away the page that I pass in and just uses the class object.
> I discovered this because I don't have a default constructor so it blows up on newInstance().
>
> Douglas
>
> On Mar 3, 2012, at 1:36 AM, vineet semwal wrote:
>
>> i think scheduling is wrong in this usecase ,actually just overriding
>> onexception and returning your handler like you did before should have
>> worked but wait for some one else to respond if its not working
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I tried overriding onExceptionRequestHandlerResolved but I can't get this to work.
>>>
>>> I'm still not getting my error page to load on errors.
>>>
>>> Douglas

>> --
>> thank you,
>>
>> regards,
>> Vineet Semwal

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
 i think scheduling is wrong in this usecase ,actually just overriding
onexception and returning your handler like you did before should have
worked but wait for some one else to respond if its not working

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried overriding onExceptionRequestHandlerResolved but I can't get this to work.
>
> I'm still not getting my error page to load on errors.
>
> Douglas
>
> On Mar 3, 2012, at 12:36 AM, Douglas Ferguson wrote:
>
>> I mean "too many redirects"
>>
>> On Mar 3, 2012, at 12:36 AM, Douglas Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>> Causes an infinite loop.
>>>
>>> Douglas

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.
I mean "too many redirects"

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.
Causes an infinite loop.

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.
i think you need to return the handler which you have scheduled

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> onException() wants be to run a redirectHandler. do I just return null?
>

> On Mar 2, 2012, at 11:44 PM, vineet semwal wrote:
>
>> you  need to do  requestcycle.scheduleRequestHandlerAfterCurrent(new
>> RenderPageRequestHandler(provider, RedirectPolicy.ALWAYS_REDIRECT));
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In migrating to wicket 1.5 from 1.4 I used this to redirect to my error page when an exception is thrown.
>>> But when I do this it is trying to instantiate a new copy of the page rather than using the one I pass in.
>>>
>>>                IPageProvider provider = new PageProvider(new ClientErrorPage(ex));
>>>                return new RenderPageRequestHandler(provider, RedirectPolicy.ALWAYS_REDIRECT);
>>

>> --
>> thank you,
>>
>> regards,
>> Vineet Semwal

thank you,

regards,
Vineet Semwal

Re: redirecting in IRequestCyleListener.onException

Posted by Douglas Ferguson <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vineet semwal <vi...@gmail.com>.