Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org> on 2007/01/16 12:10:44 UTC

Continuum server

Hi everyone,

David Illsley has set up a Continuum Server for Axis2 [1] and I asked
him to include Woden too. The Woden build isn't feeding into the Axis2
build (yet). Continuum is using our buildAll Ant target but since
junit.jar isn't on the classpath the tests aren't running (see David's
post to axis-dev [2]). Every hour Continuum will run svn update on its
working copy of the Woden trunk and if there are changes, will start a
build. It the report for each build it will include a table of the
commit log since the previous build.

The benefit of having a continuous integration server is that Axis2
can spot very quickly when we change an interface (which we will do
with WODEN-120 when we change the return type of readWSDL()). Likewise
we can track our dependencies more closely (e.g. we depend on Axiom
1.1.1 right now but we could move up to v1.2.2).

Where next? ... These are things we could do in the Continuum build

* have Continuum email woden-dev a report for each build (or perhaps
just when it fails)
* run the unittests (will need to re-jig the tasks so only junits that
currently pass are included)
* run the interop tests (will need a task in the main build.xml to
execute the ant-test/build.xml)
* move to using maven pom to ensure we pick up the latest levels of
our dependencies (and eventually bring the maven pom up to the
functionality we have in our Ant scripts btw: I believe maven can
execute Ant so we don't need to convert the interop build.xml to maven
if we don't want to)

Any comments?

[1] http://ws.zones.apache.org:10000/continuum/servlet/continuum/target/Summary.vm/fid/continuumProject

[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-dev/200701.mbox/%3c9abd5e730701160105w6d7ebb06xa389a330ea93dbd9@mail.gmail.com%3e

BTW: thanks David for setting this up.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Re: Continuum server

Posted by Graham Turrell <GT...@uk.ibm.com>.
My summary : Continuum rocks! :)

See inline....

Kind Regards,

Graham.

jpjhughes@gmail.com wrote on 16/01/2007 11:10:44:

> * have Continuum email woden-dev a report for each build (or perhaps
> just when it fails)
Failure notifications only, would be great. No news is good news.

> * run the unittests (will need to re-jig the tasks so only junits that
> currently pass are included)
> * run the interop tests (will need a task in the main build.xml to
> execute the ant-test/build.xml)
Both ideas well work looking at.

> * move to using maven pom to ensure we pick up the latest levels of
> our dependencies (and eventually bring the maven pom up to the
> functionality we have in our Ant scripts btw: I believe maven can
> execute Ant so we don't need to convert the interop build.xml to maven
> if we don't want to)
Yes this makes it much safer to keep in constant step with dependency
releases,
provided we have the means to quickly rollback such an automatic dependancy
upgrade if necessary.
(my maven knowledge is close to none at the moment, so perhaps this is a
"duh" :))

> Any comments?

I volunteer to assist with some of this, though post-M7 :)

> [1] http://ws.zones.apache.org:
> 10000/continuum/servlet/continuum/target/Summary.vm/fid/continuumProject
>
> [2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-axis-dev/200701.
> mbox/%3c9abd5e730701160105w6d7ebb06xa389a330ea93dbd9@mail.gmail.com%3e
>
> BTW: thanks David for setting this up.
+1 !