Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/12 03:35:52 UTC

Commons CSV

There was recently a conversation over on the Jakarta Commons user and
dev mailing lists on the concept of a commons-csv library. There were
various options to creating such a component, but the best one was the
offer to donate a very complete API from Netcetera.

They contributed the Apache Tcl Websh component, and Simon Hefti and
Ronnie Brunner are two Apache Tcl committers who work for Netcetera.

So I've a couple of questions:

1) Netcetera have already donated Websh to Apache Tcl. I assume this
means that they have signed something in the process, does that apply
to any other submission or will they need to sign again?

2) How much of the Incubator process would apply to Commons? Many of
the exit conditions are automatically passed just by being a part of
Commons. [http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ExitingIncubator] Please
don't take this question as an attempt to weasel out of having to
incubate.

Thanks,

Hen

Re: Commons CSV

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 14-07-2005 04:30, "Henri Yandell" <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2) How much of the Incubator process would apply to Commons?

All of it.

>> Many of
>> the exit conditions are automatically passed just by being a part of
>> Commons. [http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ExitingIncubator]

So you go through real quickly. I once guided MerlinDeveloper (big external
package with one new developer) through incubation in a week. Just fill out
the template and all the bullets (yes the community is healthy, yes the ip
issues are resolved, yes the pmc wants to do this, yes yes all ok) and run
the proper votes, less work than figuring out whether it should happen as
part of the incubator, and you're making sure you have all your I's dotted
:-)

>> Please
>> don't take this question as an attempt to weasel out of having to
>> incubate.

Heh. Incubation is something *you* do. The incubator pmc restricts itself to
watching and nodding gently if possible.

> To provide another example in the area of this question.
>
> Would we create a mailing list just for commons-csv, or would we
> create a commons-incubator mailing list to be used for each component
> that works its way through the incubator?

Since the developers you're bringing into jakarta commons are already apache
committers, and since further development discussion would occur on the
commons mailing list, I wouldn't bother with worrying about setting up a
PPMC or a new mailing list or anything like that. You're just going through
the "IP clearing" part of incubation, jakarta can do the community
aggregation within the existing jakarta commons infrastructure, you just
declare that its fine and we believe you :-).

Similarly with SVN, you could import into /incubator/..., then when the IP
stuff is fixed you svn mv everything into j-c. Done and done, with svn
history showing the correct IP clearing process.

Just my 2 cents,

Leo

Re: Commons CSV

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commons CSV

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Thinking on this further, I may have poorly described this.
>
> A code donation has been offered to Jakarta (Commons). From what I
> understand, this has to go via the Incubator to ensure it is above
> board etc as it is from a company and not ASF committers, but does it
> actually have to become an incubated project, or do we just need to
> get the legal agreements on file and then move along?
>
> If so, what legal bits and how? Does their previous donation cover
> future donations?

Perhaps what you are looking for is the "IP Clearance Template"
which is obscurely tucked away at the bottom of
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/pmc.html

-David

Re: Commons CSV

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.