Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com> on 2015/11/12 19:01:51 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Please vote to release Apache Trafodion 1.3.0 (incubating).

This is a podling vote verifying that Trafodion contributors believe the
code is ready to be released.

Once votes are approved, a message will be sent to the IPMC community to
ask for an official vote.

Many, many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release.

The release artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafodion from directory
apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating

The artifacts are based on git repository:
git@github.com:apache/incubator-trafodion with tag 1.3.0rc2

Instructions on how to build and run Apache Trafodion are described:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Using+the+Software#UsingtheSoftware-Download,build,andinstallTrafodionusingsourcetarfileonApachedistributionsite

Note that these instructions describe downloading from the release
directory.  The artifacts are currently in the staging area  described
above.

Please download the release candidate, check the hashes, check the
signatures, build it, and vote.  For instructions on how to check
signatures and hashes see:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/How+to+Release+Trafodion#HowtoReleaseTrafodion-verifysignature

The source tar file has been signed with pgp key A44C5A05 which is included
in the download location’s KEYS file and found in the mit keyserver:

    http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA44C5A05

For changes included in the release, please see the release notes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61326700

The changes from rc1 to rc2 include:

*TRAFODION-1612: Removed building the mapr dependency from the build.
Created JIRA TRAFODION-1620 to handle this issue going forward

* TRAFODION-1613:

     * Removed hard coding of mvn version 3.0.5 and return an error when
the environment is sourced in if mvn is not in the path.

     * As part of removing 3.0.5 hardcoding, made sure that dependent tool
overrides is handled correctly

The vote will be open for 72 hours (ends on 11/17 11:00 am PST).

[ ] +1 approve

[ ] +0 no opinion

[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

   Regards,

   Roberta

Re: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Posted by Suresh Subbiah <su...@gmail.com>.
+1 for me. I started with a base CentOS image and by following the download
and build steps, could get Trafodion running in about 2 hrs. It was
pleasant experience with nothing unusual to report.

Thank you
Suresh

Amanda Moran

RE: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

-1 to the vote for the reasons Amanda suggested. And +1 to her suggestion.

Dave

I took a build version and used the latest trafodion installer to install on
a pre-existing 2 node Cloudera 5.3 system. Installation failed during the
traf_start subscript (more specifically during sqstart).
Getting this error:
 *** ERROR unable to find mvn (MAVEN) in path
 *** please include it in your path before attempting your build

Maven is not required for trafodion to be installed, and was not on my
cluster. I was able to work around this (just because I wanted to make sure
the build would work) by first commenting out the check in sqenvcom.sh and
then rerunning sqstart. I then tried stopping trafodion installing Maven,
modifying the trafodion bashrc file and then doing an sqstart. Both
work-arounds worked and Trafodion came up successfully.

If we removed this check then install will work as expected. I think we
should do that.

Thanks!

Amanda

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> I tested the version prior to the last very minor change on an Amazon
> CentOS image and it worked.
> Search for the "Trafodion 1.3.0 Sandbox v1.5" community AMI in the
> Oregon region of AWS if you want to try it.
>
> Hans
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Looks good to me. I checked signing, built successfully, and
> > compared tar file against the tag.
> >
> > --Steve

Amanda Moran

Re: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Posted by Amanda Moran <am...@esgyn.com>.
-1

I took a build version and used the latest trafodion installer to install
on a pre-existing 2 node Cloudera 5.3 system. Installation failed during
the traf_start subscript (more specifically during sqstart).
Getting this error:
 *** ERROR unable to find mvn (MAVEN) in path
 *** please include it in your path before attempting your build

Maven is not required for trafodion to be installed, and was not on my
cluster. I was able to work around this (just because I wanted to make sure
the build would work) by first commenting out the check in sqenvcom.sh and
then rerunning sqstart. I then tried stopping trafodion installing Maven,
modifying the trafodion bashrc file and then doing an sqstart. Both
work-arounds worked and Trafodion came up successfully.

If we removed this check then install will work as expected. I think we
should do that.

Thanks!

Amanda

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> I tested the version prior to the last very minor change on an Amazon
> CentOS image and it worked.
> Search for the "Trafodion 1.3.0 Sandbox v1.5" community AMI in the Oregon
> region of AWS if you want to try it.
>
> Hans
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Looks good to me. I checked signing, built successfully, and compared tar
> > file against the tag.
> >
> > --Steve

Amanda Moran

Re: [VOTE] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.
+1