Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Rahn Nicholas, Bedag" <Ni...@bedag.ch> on 2013/10/23 07:56:02 UTC

Transport Connection EOFs

Hi. Hoping that someone might have some insight into what we're seeing in our activemq.log file.

We're running ActiveMQ 5.8 and in the activemq.log file we see lots of messages like this:

2013-10-11 09:03:57,212 | WARN  | Transport Connection to: tcp://10.251.128.28:42015 failed: java.io.EOFException | org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.Transport | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///10.251.128.28:42015@61616

The IP addresses are from our client applications, of which there are at least 30. The messages come frequently, roughly 4-5 per minute. Often 2 from the same IP will come within a couple milliseconds of each other.

Our applications are running fine (sending and receiving) so I'm wondering if these messages are actually important or if they could be ignored? Why are they logged at the WARN level?

I've also been trying to track down the cause of these messages.  One reason I've found is that if there is a connection open when the JVM exits, one of these log entries will be written. But that does not explain the vast majority of them because our applications don't exit that frequently.

Can anyone tell me if these messages point to something that might be amiss with our setup/config? We're using the openwire transport connector with the JDBC persistence adapter.  I can provide the full config file if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Nick

Re: Transport Connection EOFs

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Confirmed.. if you don't clean up your session and connection cleanly, the broker will warn for you. Its usually indicative of a client that is mis-coded.  Look for exceptions being thrown.. a lot of times folks don't have the finally { } block defined to clean up JMS objects.

Also.. check out using a MessageListener onMessage()..  more straight forward connection/session management.

-Matt

Posted by Paul Gale <pa...@gmail.com>.