Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/31 08:24:17 UTC

website - should we target the devs a little more

Hi all,

Early in the morning I installed a new machine without anything around and
I couldn't remember the right link to the repository... So obviously I went
on our website to look at the link; But couldn't find it either. I couldn't
find it until I end to the Quick Links section. Which was after all logical
but ot so much intuitive (a dev is also a contributor ...).

Anyway I'm worried that this 1 page site isn't the appropriate way to
present the project.

1. This big font (at least on chrome) doesn't help to read at all. And
links can't be easily  read due  to the thickness of it too

2. We should have a real dev sections to target devs, presenting couchdb
internals & such like here :
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/development/index.html or
http://www.chromium.org/developers/  an not a simple wiki page . It's
important for other to present couchdb internals so other developer know
where to hack. And it's important to attract more devs to couchdb I think.

3. For other and I think the new doc site will help we should have
something like http://developer.android.com/index.html

On a side note I don't find the slogan "Apache CouchDB is a database that
uses JSON for documents, Javascript for MapReduce queries and regular HTTP
for an API" is quite good. If I came here for the first time I would say
"and?" .  Replications, Views, Rendering (couchapps) and Reliable &
Elastiic (when bigcouch will come) are imo some selling points that speak
more to the end user.

Anyway here is my post-reaction after losing more than 5 mn to find a link
on the website. I hope it can help to make our site better.

- benoit

Re: website - should we target the devs a little more

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On a side note I don't find the slogan "Apache CouchDB is a database that
> uses JSON for documents, Javascript for MapReduce queries and regular HTTP
> for an API" is quite good.

isn't quite good.

Re: website - should we target the devs a little more

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
We could definitely sell ourselves better. And of course, our customers are
highly technical. But until something better comes along, this has been
designed as a single page site. So we need to stay laser focused. And so,
to answer Benoits question, no, we shouldn't be trying to please everybody,
or speak to everybody all at once. As Vonnegut once said, if you try to
open your window and make love to the world, all you will get is pneumonia.

--
NS

Re: website - should we target the devs a little more

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org> wrote:

> The homepage (or marketing site as I call it) is targeted at new users.
> That's why the link to the source code is tucked away at the bottom.

I was speaking as a marketer....  (which was actually part of my master ;)

> Benoit, you trying to find the Git URL was not one of our user stories, and
> nor should it be. You're perfectly able to figure that one out for
> yourself. ;)

I'm confused. shouldn't the website direct all the users? See the android
site for ex it manage all actors of a project:

 http://www.android.com/

Also i think I'm generally good to find the information on the web. Here it
took me 10mn to find the right link.

> I definitely think we need to keep the website up to date, and iterate on
> it. And I would like to see some concrete proposals that we can talk about.

 On a pure information perspective their layout what you find on the
android website in term of entries and informations is what I would expect.
I could of course do something, but if a graphist could help that would be
the best.

- benoƮt

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.