Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/12 12:07:18 UTC

[classlib][TestNG] Use tweaked TestNG

Hello,

I have been discussing with the author of TestNG (Cedric) about
Harmony using a tweaked TestNG which does not require
java.util.concurrent. The feedback is we could use the tweaked TestNG
as long as we do not re-distributed it. So now it's possible to deploy
TestNG in Harmony.

What do you think we take a simple module (prefs?) to run a pilot? Or
let's waiting for the completion of j.u.concurrent. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

--
Richard Liang
China Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][TestNG] Use tweaked TestNG

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/06, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 12 September 2006 at 14:44, "Alexei Zakharov"
> <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > If this tweaking doesn't affect visible TestNG user interface then I
> > see nothing bad about converting the sample module. Especially in case
> > if we have volunteers who cannot stand without it any longer :)
> >
> > Another question is, where should we keep this tweaked version? Is
> > there any place from which it can be downloaded during the build or we
> > should keep tweaked jar in svn or ...
>
> Either of the options you mention would break the "as long as we do
> not re-distributed it" requirement that Cedric placed on the tweaked
> version.  The only sane option would be to distribute the tweaking
> mechanism via svn (or a jar).
>
> I think I'd prefer waiting 'til we can run TestNG without tweaking.

Agree ;-) Hope we complete j.u.concurrent soon ;-)

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/06, Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> If this tweaking doesn't affect visible TestNG user interface then I
> see nothing bad about converting the sample module. Especially in case
> if we have volunteers who cannot stand without it any longer :)

I only redirect the concurrency support from java.util.concurrent to
backport-util-concurrent which is used by TestNG for java14. It should
not influence the UI. I will try the Eclipse plugin. ;-)

> Another question is, where should we keep this tweaked version? Is
> there any place from which it can be downloaded during the build or we
> should keep tweaked jar in svn or ...

Temporarily, we will keep it in Harmony SVN.

> BTW, I'm still volunteering to convert beans.

Great & Thanks a lot.

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Richard Liang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been discussing with the author of TestNG (Cedric) about
> Harmony using a tweaked TestNG which does not require
> java.util.concurrent. The feedback is we could use the tweaked TestNG
> as long as we do not re-distributed it. So now it's possible to deploy
> TestNG in Harmony.

Huh?  TestNG is under the Apache License as far as I can tell.  We can
tweak to our heart's content, and distribute at will, as long as we
don't call the tweaked version "TestNG".

But we don't want to distribute it anyway.

> What do you think we take a simple module (prefs?) to run a pilot? Or
> let's waiting for the completion of j.u.concurrent. Thanks a lot.

Is there a way this tweak can be packaged as a patch to testNG that we
keep here and use in Harmony until J.u.c is ready?

geir