Posted to commits@cassandra.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/02/19 15:17:04 UTC

[Cassandra Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by gdusbabek

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cassandra Wiki" for change notification.

The "FAQ" page has been changed by gdusbabek.
The comment on this change is: Added information about JMX always binding to 0.0.0.0.
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=38&rev2=39

  Cassandra is a gossip-based distributed system.  !ListenAddress is also "contact me here address," i.e., the address it tells other nodes to reach it at.  Telling other nodes "contact me on any of my addresses" is a bad idea; if different nodes in the cluster pick different addresses for you, Bad Things happen.

  If you don't want to manually specify an IP to !ListenAddress for each node in your cluster (understandable!), leave it blank and Cassandra will use !InetAddress.getLocalHost() to pick an address.  Then it's up to you or your ops team to make things resolve correctly (/etc/hosts/, dns, etc).
+
+ One exception to this process is JMX, which by default binds to 0.0.0.0 (Java bug [[http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6425769|6425769]]).

  See [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-256|CASSANDRA-256]] and [[https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-43|CASSANDRA-43]] for more gory details.