Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Adel Boutros <Ad...@live.com> on 2017/09/06 16:21:48 UTC

[Qpid Java Broker 6.0.4] [Linux] Stop script keeps trying to kill a dead broker

Hello,

In one of our tests, we were having a random failure. It seems we cannot stop a broker correctly.

We have a started broker and we call "bin/qpid.stop $BROKER_PID" to stop it. It seems to work from the first time but maybe not fast enough because the script keeps trying to kill the broker which is actually dead.

Is this a know issue? Is it fixed on a newer version?

Command output

===============

Waiting 1 second for 514 to exit
broker/bin/qpid.stop: line 49: kill: (514) - No such process
Waiting 1 second for 514 to exit
broker/bin/qpid.stop: line 41: kill: (514) - No such process
Waiting 1 second for 514 to exit
broker/bin/qpid.stop: line 41: kill: (514) - No such process
Waiting 1 second for 514 to exit
Stopped trying to kill process: 514
Attempted to stop 2 times

Re: [Qpid Java Broker 6.0.4] [Linux] Stop script keeps trying to kill a dead broker

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 18 September 2017 at 22:53, VERMEULEN Olivier <
Olivier.VERMEULEN@murex.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Following up on Adel's email.
> I took a look at the initiateShutdown endpoint you mentioned.
> I tested it and it seems to work but I don't see it in any documentation,
> not even in the broker apidocs.
> Is there a reason for that? Is this feature officially supported?

Since the code was introduced back in 2015, it has been marked with a meta
data description "Initiates an orderly shutdown of the Broker."  This text
*should* show in the API docs for the broker operations.  Since there are
no parameters to pass, there is no further documentation.  The feature is
and remains supported.

> And one more question, why is the broker's qpid.stop script not using the
> same graceful mechanism?

The qpid.stop script hasn't seen any changes (other than a blanket update
to all shell scripts which use bash) since 2009.  Since the REST API
*should* use authentication, and may even be disabled (or on a non standard
port), I don't think it could be used by the standard stop script anyway.

-- Rob

Posted by Rob Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 20 September 2017 at 13:41, Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>
> By graceful shutdown I meant that Qpid broker jvm exits after successful
> closing of all internal objects, finishing/interrupting of all in-progress
> tasks and releasing all system resources.

To Olivier's point though... the "graceful" shutdown is not necessarily all
that graceful from the point of view of a messaging client application.
Closing a connection where the broker has received (but not yet)
acknowledged a message, and then persisting that message in a queue is not
really particularly friendly.  Really the major advantage with a "graceful"
shutdown is that sub-components like the store will be "cleanly" closed,
meaning that there will likely be less delay on startup.  Also I guess that
messaging clients will potentially get a message indicating why their
connections have been closed rather than a simple closure at the TCP layer.

- Rob

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Adel Boutros <ad...@live.com>.