Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk> on 2014/09/10 13:10:13 UTC

DRaaS based on ACS

Hi All,

We’re currently looking into the possibility of creating a DR as a service
offering for our customers based on ACS. I’m assuming that trying to create
a fully open source solution is not feasible and am looking to evaluate
Vision Solutions’ Double-Take Cloud Protection and Recovery product. I’m
wondering if anyone knows of any other solutions that would work nicely
with ACS (i.e. client self-service, handling the import of a VM into ACS,
WAN ‘optimised’ communications etc).

>From what I can tell, the main problem with most commercial solutions is
that they assume that they have direct control of the hypervisors,
bypassing ACS completely, and as such would result in creating a VM that
ACS would then not be able to see or therefore manage. They also seem to
assume that there’s a private network between the source and target systems
which can be an issue with multi-tenancy and overlapping IPs between
tenants. I’m initially looking for Xenserver support as well which seems to
be the ugly duckling when it comes to backup and replication – most of the
commercial solutions concentrate on VMware and then Hyper-V.

Does anyone have any experience with either the Double-Take or any other
solutions that they’d care to share? Anyone know of any yet-to-be-released
solutions that might fit the bill?

Many thanks,

Adrian

Re: DRaaS based on ACS

Posted by te...@frontier.in.
Hi Adrin,

   Vision solutions Double-take solution can works on agent base also
where you don't need VRA. so you can create VM in ACS and install agent in
it. then you can start replication but still there can be complications if
you are using advanced networking and IP NAT.

   We have also done some research in the same area and we have found that
currently not any replication tool support cloudstack or any open source
orchestration. Veeam has a solution for integration for service provider
with VMware. the same veeam model is been devloped by Avnet BaaS
offerings.

   Let us know if you can find any solution for cloudstack.

Thanks and regards,
Tejas Sheth
+919844244247

RE: DRaaS based on ACS

Posted by Adrian Lewis <ad...@alsiconsulting.co.uk>.
Hi Ilya,

No - I'm referring to DRaaS - nothing to do with DR for ACS itself. The
Double-Take CP&R is software we can install within the Cloudstack
environment to offer DR and replication services to clients that are not
running ACS. Just wondering if anyone else had other options that they've
tried/installed.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Adrian

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.