Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2010/12/01 11:02:31 UTC

Stanbol modules and launchers (was: stanbol.FOO names for our modules?)

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Rupert Westenthaler <rw...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...For the modules I think we will need some more "top level names" like
>  stanbol.commons
>  stanbol.jersey...
>  stanbol.utils...

I'd put those under commons, so in terms of svn layout I suggest:

trunk/
  commons/
    jersey
    utils
  fise/
    launcher/
    it/
  kres/
    launcher/
    it/
  rick/
    launcher/
    it/
  stanbol
    launcher/
    it/

Where kres/launcher for example creates a runnable jar that runs just
kres, with minimal dependencies.

The stanbol/launcher would be a "kitchen sink" runnable jar that
includes everything.

The "it" modules contain integration tests that use the launchers,
either for the individual modules or for the kitchen sink stanbol
module.

-Bertrand

Re: Stanbol modules and launchers (was: stanbol.FOO names for our modules?)

Posted by Umesh Awasthi <um...@gmail.com>.
i am also of the same opinion that common is something which should be
independent of any structure.
one which we can use at any level

--
With Regards
Umesh Awasthi

Re: Stanbol modules and launchers (was: stanbol.FOO names for our modules?)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Umesh,

2010/12/1 Umesh Awasthi <um...@gmail.com>:
> In Our current product we have placed all the common utilitiy classes which
> are applicable equally to all layers  in the common module
> so in such cases when ever we need to use some such functionality which is
> not specific to any layer we tend to search that first in common.

yes, and I think that this is a common (good) practice. However, what
you assume here is some layered architecture and at this stage of the
stanbol project the architecture is neither fixed nor really clear to
me. For the moment it might be a working solution to place things in
common but we should be careful to interpret this as an architectural
decision.

Regarding the stanbol architecture: IMO we have to learn more about
the possibilities provided by the modules in stanbol and how to use
them wisely before we know which architecture fits best. I would
suggest some learning by doing approach here.

--
Fabian

Re: Stanbol modules and launchers (was: stanbol.FOO names for our modules?)

Posted by Umesh Awasthi <um...@gmail.com>.
Fabian

In Our current product we have placed all the common utilitiy classes which
are applicable equally to all layers  in the common module
so in such cases when ever we need to use some such functionality which is
not specific to any layer we tend to search that first in common.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
On 1 December 2010 11:18, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> +1 for me
>>
>> the kres/it folder  - for instance - should then include integration
>> tests with respect to all its launchers (kres/launchers and
>> stanbol/launchers), right?
>
> I'd include tests for kres there, and in stanbol/it  tests for the
> global functionalities, avoiding duplication.
>
> stanbol/it tests might just verify that the overall setup is correct,
> assuming specific functionalities are tested in the respective
> modules.
agreed

Enrico

--
Enrico Daga
Technology Expert
--
Ufficio Sistemi Informativi  (DCSPI-USI)
National Research Council (CNR)

Re: Stanbol modules and launchers (was: stanbol.FOO names for our modules?)

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
+1 for me

--