Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/11/25 11:57:09 UTC

[VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

For anyone who has been living under a rock, here is the background

Background
=========

I think everyone can agree that the site needs a reorganisation and a
rewrite. Users cannot find what they need, and the end result is that
people keep on abusing maven rather than having maven help them.

Try as I might, I have been unable to motivate myself to do the
reorganisation with the current dated look and feel of the site... I am not
saying that picking a new logo and selecting a mascot will result in making
progress, but it can't hurt and I believe it will help

Proposed changes
===============

1. Change the logo font to Alte Haas Grotesk Bold with italics applied by
Inkscape
2. Change the highlighted letter from 'a' to 'v' and replace the v with two
Apache Feathers
3. Adopt the (currently unnamed) owl as our mascot

Here is a link to the font:

http://www.dafont.com/alte-haas-grotesk.font

Here is a large version of the owl and the logo:

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-owl-final-large.png

A regular version of the own and the logo, e.g. a size suitable for use in
the top of the standard maven sites:

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-owl-final.png

(Note that in all likelihood, the mascot would probably end up on the other
side of the title bar from the logo... and that is IF the mascot ends up on
the title bar)

Here is both of those rendered in a site (as it can be helpful to see the
graphics adjacent to text)

http://people.apache.org/~stephenc/maven-logo-contest/maven-owl-final-context.png

Logo Rational
===========

If we do some searches for the Maven logo:

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&q=maven+logo&oq=maven+logo

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=maven+logo&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBLH&scope=images&pq=maven+logo

Our current logo, with a single highlighted letter stands out quite well
from the other "maven" logos, so keeping a highlighted letter and an italic
rendered font maintains continuity with our current logo.

By changing the highlighted letter to the `v` and by using two Apache
feathers to create the `v`, we connect our logo back to Apache... we are
Apache Maven after all.

The `v` is also the common short term for version (e.g.v3 is short for
version 3). Apache Maven puts a lot of emphasis on versions of dependencies
and plugins... you could say that versions are very important to Maven.

The colours of the feather were changed to solid colours to match the owl
mascot's scarf, beak and eyebrows

Voting rules
=========

Anyone who is subscribed to the dev or users list is eligible to vote.

If you vote multiple times, only your final vote will be counted.

The vote will be open until 1:00pm GMT on Wed 3rd Dec 2014

The vote is for all three changes as one single change. Partial votes (e.g.
for the logo but not the mascot, or vice-versa) will not be counted.

I, as the caller of the vote, reserve the right to cancel the vote if this
vote is putting the harmony of the community at risk.

If a majority of the PMC believe that this vote is putting the harmony of
the community at risk, then the PMC may cancel this vote (though if even a
small minority of the PMC were of that belief, I will more than likely have
cancelled the vote before the PMC would need to decide... I'm just stating
this FTR)

The decision will be a simple majority, there will be no special veto
powers.

+1: [ ] Change the logo to the proposed logo and adopt the owl as project
mascot
0: [ ] No opinion
-1: [ ] No change

Please only respond with +1, 0 or -1. If you want to discuss the proposed
changes please use a different thread. This thread is for voting only.

-Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

I reckon you have some designer skills!! :P

--
Olivier Lamy

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
+1
Regards Mirko
--
http://illegalstateexception.blogspot.com/
https://github.com/mfriedenhagen/ (http://osrc.dfm.io/mfriedenhagen)

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
+1

Posted by Raphael Ackermann <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tue Nov 25 2014 at 11:57:49 AM Stephen Connolly <

Posted by Raphael Ackermann <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Hilton Wichwski Silva <hw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Emilio Lopez <em...@gmail.com>.
+1

I love the new logo

EmilioLLBB

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for the shotgun owl !

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
+1

> [...]

>>  > small minority of the PMC were of that belief, I will more than likely
>>  have
>>  > cancelled the vote before the PMC would need to decide... I'm just
>>  stating
>>  > this FTR)
>>  >
>>  > The decision will be a simple majority, there will be no special veto
>>  > powers.
>>  >
>>  > +1: [ ] Change the logo to the proposed logo and adopt the owl as
> project
>>  > mascot
>>  > 0: [ ] No opinion
>>  > -1: [ ] No change
>>  >
>>  > Please only respond with +1, 0 or -1. If you want to discuss the
> proposed
>>  > changes please use a different thread. This thread is for voting only.

Re: Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by th...@vkb.de.
+1

Thorsten

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

thx

--
-----

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

thx

--
-----

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by James Green <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by David Hoffer <dh...@gmail.com>.
+1

-Dave

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

I like the owl.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
+1 non-binding

Cheers,
Paul

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Andreas Gudian <an...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
+1

WBR, Maxim
(from mobile, sorry for the typos)

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by domi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
+1

Posted by Eric Barboni <Er...@irit.fr>.
+1

Owl the best

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Any last votes?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Any last votes?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1

Posted by Baptiste Mathus <ml...@batmat.net>.
+1.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Tony Jewell <to...@cregganna.com>.
+1

Tony Jewell

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

-1

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by domi <do...@fortysix.ch>.
+1

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
-1

Android Maven Plugin 4.0.0 released

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
The Android Maven Plugin team is pleased to announce the release of version 4.0.0 of the plugin:

<plugin>
  <groupId>com.simpligility.maven.plugins</groupId>
  <artifactId>android-maven-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>4.0.0</version>
</plugin>

A celebratory blog post with some background is available at

http://www.simpligility.com/2014/11/android-maven-plugin-4-0-0-ships/

-New features/bug fixes for the specific release are
-Migrated some documentation from the old Google Code site
-Fix for aar and jar dependency mix and related resolving
-Fixes to proguard and multidex related processing
-Documentation for shading commons-codec to allow usage of newer version
-Custom exclude filter to ProGuardMojo
-Fixes to resource files in sample projects to allow builds to pass with new SDK
-Always honor dexArguments parameters
-Downgraded runtime requirements to Maven 3.0.4
-Examples documentation
-Moved Emma analysis to process-classes phase

When upgrading please ensure to check the changelog for further details:

https://github.com/simpligility/android-maven-plugin/blob/master/src/site/asciidoc/changelog.adoc

We would like to thank the contributors to this release for their valuable help and invite you all to help us out as well:

Specifically for this release we would like to thank the following contributors for their awesome work.

Core Committers
-Benoit Billington https://github.com/Shusshu
-Manfred Moser http://www.simpligility.com
-Malachi de AElfweald https://github.com/malachid
-Johan Lindquist https://github.com/johanlindquist
-William Ferguson http://github.com/william-ferguson-au

Committers for this release
-Manfred Moser http://www.simpligility.com
-Hoyt Summers Pittman https://github.com/secondsun
-Łukasz Suski https://github.com/lsuski
-Matthias Stevens https://github.com/mstevens83
-Csaba Kozák https://github.com/WonderCsabo
-Dmitry Berezhnoy https://github.com/deadmoto

We would also like to thank for the help we received from the Maven community members and everybody else out there for any help we received in our issue tracker and beyond.

All merges and release builds and a whole bunch of other changes done by

Manfred Moser http://www.simpligility.com

Documentation, issue tracker and more can be found on the plugin websites at

https://github.com/simpligility/android-maven-plugin/
http://simpligility.github.io/android-maven-plugin/
http://code.google.com/p/maven-android-plugin/

Specifically look at our samples project, which are now located in the plugin codebase itself in /src/test/projects

http://simpligility.github.io/android-maven-plugin/examples.html

Please join the Maven Android Mailing List for relevant discussions:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/maven-android-developers

Enjoy and congratulations to everyone involved.

Manfred Moser
http://www.simpligility.com

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Tuesday, November 25, 2014, Stephen Connolly <

--
Sent from my phone

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [VOTE] Change project logo and adopt owl as mascot

Posted by Alexandre BRETET <br...@gmail.com>.
+1