Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org> on 2021/01/07 10:21:09 UTC

[DRAFT][REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2021

The Apache Accumulo PMC decided to draft its quarterly board reports on the dev list. Here is a draft of our report which is due Wednesday, Jan 13, 1 week before the board meeting on Wednesday, Oct 20.

To facilitate collaboration, this report is also a draft PR at https://github.com/apache/accumulo-website/pull/256.

Please let me know if you have any feedback and your thoughts on using PRs as an approach for drafting these reports.

Some more detailed metrics are at https://reporter.apache.org/wizard/statistics?accumulo, which appears to require a committer login.

Ed Coleman

----
[REPORT] Apache Accumulo - January 2021

The Apache Accumulo sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust, scalable,
high performance data storage system that features cell-based access control
and customizable server-side processing. It is based on Google's BigTable
design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift.

## Issues:

No change since last report, Oct 2020.  Still waiting for the owner of
http://www.accumulodata.com to work with Amazon to reactive the account used for
hosting, so it can be pointed to https://accumulo.apache.org or shutdown. Initial emails are at [1].

## Membership Data:

Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-20 (9 years ago)
There are currently 38 committers and 38 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Jeffrey Manno was added to the PMC on 2020-11-01
- Jeffrey Manno was added as committer on 2020-11-02

## Project Release Activity

- accumulo-1.10.1 was released on 2020-12-22 [2]
- accumulo-2.0.1 was released on 2020-12-24. [3]

## Project Activity:

- [CVE-2020-17533](https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-17533), authenticated
  users could perform certain administrative operations without having the appropriate permissions,
  was reported on 2020-12-09 and resolved with the accumulo-2.0.1 (2020-12-24) and accumulo-1.10.1
  (2020-12-22) releases.
- GitHub activity summary over the past quarter (as of 2021-01-07)
  - 48 GitHub issues created / 44 issues closed.
  - 120 GitHib PRs opened / 97 PRs closed.
  - 145 commits from 18 committers.

## Community Health:

- Mailing list participation and github issues are consistent.
- 3 new contributors:
  - Szabolcs Bukros [Cloudera](https://www.cloudera.com/)
  - Seth Falco [Elypia](https://elypia.org/en-US/)
  - Dominic Garguilo [Arctic Slope Regional Corp](https://www.asrc.com/)

[1]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/514d3cf9162e72f4aa13be1db5d6685999fc83755695308a529de4d6@%3Cprivate.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[2]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r947a56c98d0a8e009fa93df3b19e93761bfea8b236f30fb0c21b1992%40%3Cuser.accumulo.apache.org%3E
[3]:https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r38b0920499c9c88de282ca783debb9fbb8dc8ed88f5fc0ad9981bf97%40%3Cuser.accumulo.apache.org%3E

Re: [DRAFT][REPORT] Apache Accumulo - Jan 2021

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
This lurking director would like to give a little bit guidance;

a. Board itself cares mostly about the question "Are there any problems for
the project?", which includes "releases happening", "bringing in new
people", "trademark issues with external parties", "healthy collaboration"
and similar. Info on this is expected, and if lacking some director
typically ask for it to be included in the future.

b. Board reports are permanent records of the foundation, and projects may
want to add additional data that future generations might find interesting.
That could be about new insights or meetups/events that have happened.

c. Board reports automatically reach many PMC Chairs and a lot of Apache
Members, so some projects like to highlight milestones or other
achievements that might bring more people to take a closer look at a
project. A kind of targeted marketing channel, with a curious and relevant
audience.

In general, Board reports with only stats are not appreciated much. The
"human touch" that brings in a context, as Michael points out, is often
much more important. Only direct participants in the project understands
the "current situation" and can explain both positives (to enlighten
others) and negatives (maybe learn from mistakes).

HTH
Niclas

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
The board knows since they approved it but it wouldn't hurt to mention the
new chair:
PMC voted Ed Coleman as the new PMC Chair and Vice President of Apache
Accumulo.  The Board approved the new chair on 2020-11-18

Posted by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
The report looks good to me, but I don't think we should use the GitHub PR
mechanism to draft these. I provided some of my reasoning on the PR, but
basically:

1. I don't think it adds value to be archived to the website, since the
reports are already canonically archived elsewhere in ASF's infrastructure,
and these have little to no value to website visitors. It's strange to use
the GitHub PR mechanism to draft something that isn't targeted to be
published on the website, and I don't think these should be published to
the website, as that would be redundant, confusing, and potentially more
work to maintain (keeping sync'd to mailing list).

2. Drafting them only on the PR excludes people who follow the mailing list
but not GitHub issues, and while that's probably okay for day-to-day
activity, it's probably not okay for discussion points that stand apart
from bugs/code issues. The alternative is to do what you did here and post
in both places, but that makes it harder to follow, because now everybody
needs to follow a discussion in two places instead of one. It's also hard
to have an interactive conversation about anything we might be discussing,
because you have to merge the chronology of the activity of both places in
order to follow the discussion.

Posted by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org>.
Report as submitted on 2021-01-13

Thanks everyone for the suggestions / comments.

Ed Coleman

------

The mission of Apache Accumulo is the creation and maintenance of software
related to a robust, scalable, distributed key/value store with cell-based

Trademark issue with http://www.accumulodata.com: The owner of no longer has
access to the email used to register the domain, and the registrar will not
accept communications from alternate accounts.  Currently, the domain is set
to expire on 2021-06-28, and without access by the owner, should automatically
expire. The Accumulo PMC is currently trying to determine if other actions are
required. Initial emails are at [1] and follow-up discussions at [4].  Advice
received Brand Management VP suggested that allowing the domain to expire in 6
months is a viable option and allows volunteer efforts to be put towards
better uses.

## Membership Data:
Apache Accumulo was founded 2012-03-20 (9 years ago)
There are currently 38 committers and 38 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Ed Coleman approved on 2020-11-18 as PMC Chair and Vice President of Apache
  Accumulo.
- Jeffrey Manno was added to the PMC on 2020-11-01
- Jeffrey Manno was added as committer on 2020-11-02

## Project Release Activity:
- accumulo-1.10.1 was released on 2020-12-22 [2]
- accumulo-2.0.1 was released on 2020-12-24. [3]

## Project Activity:
- CVE-2020-17533 [5] was reported on 2020-12-09 and resolved within 14 days.
  The CVE concerned allowed authenticated users to perform certain
  administrative operations without having the appropriate permissions.
- Project activity on the next release remains active with significant
  improvements to the current baseline. The remaining issues are being
  actively worked.
- There is community interest in improving support for cloud computing
  platforms (AWS, Azure) and alternate files systems.

## Community Health:
- Mailing list participation and GitHub issues are consistent.
- The large JIRA activity increase reflects migration or closing old JIRA
  issues in favor of using GitHub for issue tracking.
- 3 new contributors, each from different organizations showing continued
  interest from a diverse community:
  - Szabolcs Bukros [Cloudera](https://www.cloudera.com/)
  - Seth Falco [Elypia](https://elypia.org/en-US/)
  - Dominic Garguilo [Arctic Slope Regional Corp](https://www.asrc.com/)