Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au> on 2002/11/12 22:56:19 UTC

Docs: more stuff on..

While I'm waiting for 2.2 final to describe the 2.1/2.2 differences, I can
help out as a proof reader/additional copywriter for stuff.

I'm catching up on reading all the threads from yesterday, so I've skimmed a
fair bit, but I think an _*easily accessbile*_ FAQ would be a bonus for
people, there's at least a Top 10 we should compile for 2.1 as a helping
hand to anyone who has to stay in 2.1 land for a while. (Chris/Quiton,
perhaps this should be added to the Top level @
http://www.fenetics.com/turbine/index.html ?)

If this would be useful, perhaps we should gather the list of items (as in
single sentence description) we'd like to include in the FAQ, and then I
could canvas appropriate detailed response content from the experts, and/or
build some links to the appropriate place in the rest of the docs.

Some examples I am thinking of here are:

* java.lang.VerifyError using TDK (this seems to crop up once every days or
so)
* Extending TurbineUser (this would just link directly to appropriate docs
area)
* Upload issues (i.e. a couple of specific bugs/issues that people often
request, particularly in 2.1)

/turbine/services/package-summary.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine-2/services.html

> * Non TDK Howto -- I found the TDK confusing because it did a bunch of
> stuff that I didn't necessarily want.  So I learned about Turbine by
> removing everything, and putting it back in as I needed it.  This document
> would be a "tour" in the form of setting up an example app without using
> the TDK.

This would be the Turbine 2 Tutorial and would come with a sample
application, similar in structure to the Torque Tutorial.  I think this
would
probably be the most important document to write.  If we had a Tutorial, we
would no longer need a TDK.

I was in the process of migrating my Turbine 2.1 application over to Turbine

2.2-RC1 a couple of weeks ago, and I began writing a Turbine 2.1 to 2.2
Migration Howto.  Unfortunately, work has become very busy so I haven't had
chance to complete it yet.  Paul Smith had also volunteered to
rewrite/update
the TDK Howto to reflect the differences between TDK-2.1 and TDK-2.2, but he

is waiting for the final release of TDK-2.2 before he starts.

Regards,

-- Rodney

Re: Docs: more stuff on..

Posted by Rodney Schneider <ro...@actf.com.au>.
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:56, you wrote:

> If this would be useful, perhaps we should gather the list of items (as in
> single sentence description) we'd like to include in the FAQ, and then I
> could canvas appropriate detailed response content from the experts, and/or
> build some links to the appropriate place in the rest of the docs.

Hi Paul,

I think this is a really good idea.  When Scott has set up a twiki, people
will be able to start adding these questions/topics to it.

I am rather busy at work, but I could certainly find enough time to write a
short answer/description every now and again.  I just haven't got the time to
write proper documentation.

I have compiled quite a few Turbine notes in various text files on my system
here and would be happy to cut and paste them into a twiki if such a thing
existed.

Then, if someone else (eg: Scott) is happy to convert information in the
twiki into a decent set of xdocs, we might end up with some decent
documentation sooner rather than later :)

Regards,

-- Rodney

Re: Docs: more stuff on..

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
> From: Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au>
>
> While I'm waiting for 2.2 final to describe the 2.1/2.2 differences, I can
> help out as a proof reader/additional copywriter for stuff.
Great.  But why wait for 2.2 final?

> I'm catching up on reading all the threads from yesterday, so I've skimmed a
> fair bit, but I think an _*easily accessbile*_ FAQ would be a bonus for
> people, there's at least a Top 10 we should compile for 2.1 as a helping
> hand to anyone who has to stay in 2.1 land for a while. (Chris/Quiton,
> perhaps this should be added to the Top level @
> http://www.fenetics.com/turbine/index.html ?)
>
> If this would be useful, perhaps we should gather the list of items (as in
> single sentence description) we'd like to include in the FAQ, and then I
> could canvas appropriate detailed response content from the experts, and/or
> build some links to the appropriate place in the rest of the docs.
>
> Some examples I am thinking of here are:
>
> * java.lang.VerifyError using TDK (this seems to crop up once every days or
> so)
> * Extending TurbineUser (this would just link directly to appropriate docs
> area)
> * Upload issues (i.e. a couple of specific bugs/issues that people often
> request, particularly in 2.1)
By all means, compile whatever you can wherever you can.  In all
seriousness, the answers to all FAQ questions can most likely be links to
messages in the mail archives (if they have been asked frequently the will
most likely have been answered frequently).

I'll try and organise a twiki so that we can bring all this stuff back to a
central location.

Cheers,

Scott
--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

RE: Docs: more stuff on..

Posted by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com>.
Hi Paul.

I included a FAQ section with your suggested bullet points, and added one
about Intake and another about the versions.  You can find it at the online
outline whiteboard: http://www.fenetics.com/turbine/index.html.

Would you be willing to provide some answers to the VerifyError and Upload
Issues in 2.1?

Thanks,

Chris