Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp> on 2001/11/08 14:04:31 UTC

No more DTM IDs are available?

I am using Cocoon to generate PDF documentation as part of a build
process, as in the Jakarta Avalon project.

Very often, I get a "No more DTM IDs are available" exception (see
complete trace below) and the build fails. This appears to be a Xalan
exception.

However, it does not happen every time. I can find no pattern to
when it happens and when it doesn't.

I am using Xalan Java version 2.2.D11. I did not have this problem
with the version I was using previously (Xalan Java version 2.2.D8),
but I had to upgrade to the latest version due to bugs in D8 (it was
screwing up import precedence of attribute sets).

Can anyone tell me 1) what a DTM ID is (api docs are unhelpful) and
2) how I can avoid this problem?

Thanks,

Ryan

org.apache.xml.dtm.DTMException: No more DTM IDs are available
        at
org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMManagerDefault.getFirstFreeDTMID(DTMManagerDefault.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xml.dtm.ref.DTMManagerDefault.getDTM(DTMManagerDefault.java:184)
        at org.apache.xpath.XPathContext.getDTM(XPathContext.java:169)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformToRTF(TransformerImpl.java:1703)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemVariable.getValue(ElemVariable.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemVariable.execute(ElemVariable.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemTemplate.execute(ElemTemplate.java:430)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemCallTemplate.execute(ElemCallTemplate.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemLiteralResult.execute(ElemLiteralResult.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.transformSelectedNodes(ElemApplyTemplates.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.execute(ElemApplyTemplates.java:226)
[...]
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.transformSelectedNodes(ElemApplyTemplates.java:423)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.execute(ElemApplyTemplates.java:226)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.transformSelectedNodes(ElemApplyTemplates.java:423)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemApplyTemplates.execute(ElemApplyTemplates.java:226)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java:2182)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemChoose.execute(ElemChoose.java:177)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java:2182)
        at
org.apache.xalan.templates.ElemLiteralResult.execute(ElemLiteralResult.java:678)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.executeChildTemplates(TransformerImpl.java:2182)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.applyTemplateToNode(TransformerImpl.java:2008)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.transformNode(TransformerImpl.java:1171)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run(TransformerImpl.java:3135)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerHandlerImpl.endDocument(TransformerHandlerImpl.java:433)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endDocument(AbstractXMLPipe.java:48)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endDocument(AbstractXMLPipe.java:48)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.sax.XMLTeePipe.endDocument(XMLTeePipe.java:59)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser.endDocument(SAXParser.java:1230)
        at
org.apache.xerces.validators.common.XMLValidator.callEndDocument(XMLValidator.java:1079)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$EndOfInputDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1555)
        at
org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
        at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1035)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.parser.JaxpParser.parse(JaxpParser.java:110)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.URLSource.toSAX(URLSource.java:331)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.generation.FileGenerator.generate(FileGenerator.java:107)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.process(CachingEventPipeline.java:210)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingStreamPipeline.java:350)
        at
org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.wildcardMatchN400059(sitemap_xmap.java:534)
        at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:434)
        at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:392)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:163)
        at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:114)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Main.getType(Main.java:659)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Main.processURI(Main.java:512)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Main.process(Main.java:431)
        at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:300)

Re: No more DTM IDs are available?

Posted by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp>.
Okay, I found a detailed discussion of the problem here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=100455985000002&w=2&r=1

Looks like this is a limitation of Xalan-J, unfortunately.

Posted by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp>.

Posted by "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>.

--
Marcelo F. Ochoa - mochoa@ieee.org
Do you Know DB Prism? Look @ http://www.plenix.com/dbprism/

Re: No more DTM IDs are available?

Posted by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp>.
I am running Cocoon as part of a build process, i.e. from the
command line (actually, called by Ant). It is not running within
a servlet engine or using hsqldb.

I strongly suspect that this is a Xalan bug, since D8 had no problems,
but D11 does. I guess I should post there. The strange thing is, it
only seems to happen when running from within Cocoon, not
when I run Xalan by hand.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by "Marcelo F. Ochoa" <mo...@ieee.org>.

Posted by Ryan Shaw <ry...@silveregg.co.jp>.