Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/03/23 03:00:33 UTC

RE: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bears... oh my

At 12:06  23/3/01 +1030, Kuster, Egon wrote:
>I have read the emails and discover that turbine and struts are basically
>the same thing competing with each other therefore I have a few more
>questions concerning struts and tubine:
>
>which one has been around longer?
>Which is more mature?

you are entering dangerous territory here ;)

I have only used turbine before and have found that it was probably the
best web application framework around. You can integrate with most
technologies (templating like webmacro/velocity and jsp and programatic via
ecs or python etc) and it has many services available to it. If you are not
wedded to jsp and you are doing web applications then it is your best bet.

If you like jsp then struts may be an option. Combine it with the taglibs
and I here that is rapidly getting good in terms of features. It is no
where near as old or mature as turbine but it has smart developers so it
should be good.

Another option to consider is Cocoon2 from xml.apache.org. It is a xml
centric publishing framework. As such its web-applications support is
minimal but it has very very good publishing facilities. Unfortunately it
requires a very good knowledge of XML to use though.

>What I am trying to develop is a large (I mean LARGE) enterprise portal
>where the information can be anything including geospatial, textural, video
>and others. THis will have pluggable web components into the system I will
>be extending one of the frameworks either struts or turbine for my purposes
>and I am trying to figure out which way to go by asking a few people their
>opinions as they have already played around with some of these frameworks.

This sounds like jetspeed is what you want. I am not sure what level of
development it is currently under but it covers basically the same ground.

Cheers,

Pete