Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ma...@t-systems.com on 2012/03/23 13:41:40 UTC

Open MS Office Document results in numereous password requests on IE 8.0

We have the following problem in using Subversion (currently version 1.6.15):
*       I open the Windows Internet Explorer 8.0
*       I enter there the URL to our Subversion repository: https://our.company.com/svn/REPO/trunk/docs
*       I have to login with my credentials (user ID and password).
*       I am able to navigate up and down the hierarchy of directories. The credentials are stored in the session, and are not asked again.
*       Every time I try to open an Office document (PPT, XLS, DOC), I see the following happening:
o       The windows download / open dialog is opened
o       When I press open, there comes a popup that asks for my credentials again. It is not the one of the browser, but of the application that the document belongs to. The icon of that popup is also the one of the application.
o       I see in the background a window that shows the whole URL in a dialog. The dialog is named "Open" (German: Öffnen), and has only the button "Cancel".
o       I then enter my credentials or approve the cached ones and press then "OK".
o       This popup comes then 3 times, with the same contents.
o       After the last one, the Office document is opened.
*       I have asked our admins and they told me that they think that the IE8 tries to establish a WebDAV connection, which fails 3 times. Then the office document is downloaded as normally.
*       This does not happen with any other browser: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Sarari are all ok, even Internet Explorer 6.0 is.

This happens only with Windows 7 (not sure about 64 bit only), and Internet Explorer 8. It has nothing to do with the client version of Subversion.

I have 2 questions:
1.      What is the reason for this behavior?
2.      Is there anything we can do (server or client side) to fix that behavior?

Thank you a lot

Bye
        Markus Liebelt

--
mailto:markus.liebelt@t-systems.com

Re: Open MS Office Document results in numereous password requests on IE 8.0

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
> > I had a problem with the IE behaving very strange when trying to
download MS
> > Office documents (docx, xlsx) from a subversion server; it downloaded
them
> > as zip files instead. The fix was to add the subversion server to the
> > trusted sites in the IE settings: Tools->Internet Options, Tab
Security
> > Its a wild guess but maybe this helps with your problem too.
>
> Do you have svn:mime-type set appropriately (application/msword,
> application/msexcel) on those files? The "new" MS Office file formats
> *are* ZIP files (rename them & check it out). If you set svn:mime-type
> on those files, IE should handle them properly.

Here is one possible way to get Content-Type set if it isn't specified
with svn:mime-type:

<IfModule headers_module>
  # Fix docx/xlsx/pptx handling for IE7
  SetEnvIf Request_URI "\.docx$" docx_file
  Header set Content-Type
"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document"
env=docx_file
  SetEnvIf Request_URI "\.xlsx$" xlsx_file
  Header set Content-Type
"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"
env=xlsx_file
  SetEnvIf Request_URI "\.pptx$" pptx_file
  Header set Content-Type
"application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.presentation"
env=pptx_file
</IfModule>

Setting the svn:mime-type is the correct way, but hacks like above might
work in a pinch.  Usual disclaimer applies.  If you use this and
it causes problems you owe me money... :^)

Kevin R.

Re: Open MS Office Document results in numereous password requests on IE 8.0

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Klust <wa...@elego.de>.
On 23.03.2012 13:41, Markus.Liebelt@t-systems.com wrote:
> We have the following problem in using Subversion (currently version 1.6.15):
>
>   * I open the Windows Internet Explorer 8.0
>   * I enter there the URL to our Subversion repository: https://our.company.com/svn/REPO/trunk/docs
>     <https://our.company.com/svn/REPO/trunk/docs>
>   * I have to login with my credentials (user ID and password).
>   * I am able to navigate up and down the hierarchy of directories. The credentials are stored in the session, and are
>     not asked again.
>   * Every time I try to open an Office document (PPT, XLS, DOC), I see the following happening:
>
>   * The windows download / open dialog is opened
>   * When I press open, there comes a popup that asks for my credentials again. It is not the one of the browser, but of
>     the application that the document belongs to. The icon of that popup is also the one of the application.
>   * I see in the background a window that shows the whole URL in a dialog. The dialog is named “Open” (German: Öffnen),
>     and has only the button “Cancel”.
>   * I then enter my credentials or approve the cached ones and press then “OK”.
>   * This popup comes then 3 times, with the same contents.
>   * After the last one, the Office document is opened.
>
>   * I have asked our admins and they told me that they think that the IE8 tries to establish a WebDAV connection, which
>     fails 3 times. Then the office document is downloaded as normally.
>   * This does not happen with any other browser: Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Sarari are all ok, even Internet Explorer 6.0 is.
>
> This happens only with Windows 7 (not sure about 64 bit only), and Internet Explorer 8. It has nothing to do with the
> client version of Subversion.
> I have 2 questions:
>
>  1. What is the reason for this behavior?
>  2. Is there anything we can do (server or client side) to fix that behavior?
>
> Thank you a lot
> Bye
> Markus Liebelt
> --
> mailto:markus.liebelt@t-systems.com <ma...@t-systems.com>

I had a problem with the IE behaving very strange when trying to download MS Office documents (docx, xlsx) from a
subversion server; it downloaded them as zip files instead. The fix was to add the subversion server to the trusted
sites in the IE settings: Tools->Internet Options, Tab Security
Its a wild guess but maybe this helps with your problem too.

Walter Klust

Re: Open MS Office Document results in numereous password requests on IE 8.0

Posted by km...@rockwellcollins.com.
> We have the following problem in using Subversion (currently version
1.6.15):
> I open the Windows Internet Explorer 8.0
> I enter there the URL to our Subversion repository: https://
> our.company.com/svn/REPO/trunk/docs
> I have to login with my credentials (user ID and password).
> I am able to navigate up and down the hierarchy of directories. The
> credentials are stored in the session, and are not asked again.
> Every time I try to open an Office document (PPT, XLS, DOC), I see
> the following happening:
> The windows download / open dialog is opened
> When I press open, there comes a popup that asks for my credentials
> again. It is not the one of the browser, but of the application that
> the document belongs to. The icon of that popup is also the one of
> the application.
> I see in the background a window that shows the whole URL in a
> dialog. The dialog is named ?Open? (German: Öffnen), and has only
> the button ?Cancel?.
> I then enter my credentials or approve the cached ones and press then
?OK?.
> This popup comes then 3 times, with the same contents.
> After the last one, the Office document is opened.
> I have asked our admins and they told me that they think that the
> IE8 tries to establish a WebDAV connection, which fails 3 times.
> Then the office document is downloaded as normally.
> This does not happen with any other browser: Firefox, Chrome, Opera,
> Sarari are all ok, even Internet Explorer 6.0 is.
>
> This happens only with Windows 7 (not sure about 64 bit only), and
> Internet Explorer 8. It has nothing to do with the client version of
> Subversion.
>
> I have 2 questions:
> 1. What is the reason for this behavior?
> 2. Is there anything we can do (server or client side) to fix that
behavior?

Office (2010 especially) tries VERY hard to believe anything that responds
to WebDAV is a sharepoint server.  It then heavily relies on sharepoint
specific behavior and doesn't understand when things don't work.

I don't remember if this fixes this particular problem, but using some
httpd.conf magic, you can try and force 405 errors when office
requests WebDAV:

<IfModule rewrite_module>
  RewriteEngine on
  # Disallow Office 2010 WebDAV options request

  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^OPTIONS [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^HEAD [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^PROPFIND
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} "^Microsoft Office"
  RewriteRule .* - [R=405,L]
</IfModule>

This obviously requires mod_rewrite being enabled and is a
server change.  I don't promise this won't affect other things
negatively.

Kevin R.