Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Stefan Arentz <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/10 14:03:46 UTC

Building 1.1-Minimal

Goedenmiddag!

I have a couple of questions regarding the 1.1 minimal release. I
would like to build it from source code but I don't know how.

I could not find instructions on how to build the minimal profile with
jetty. Does anyone have a recipe for that?

Am I correct that I need to stay current with

 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.1/

until the 1.1 final release is tagged?

I understand that I need to use Java 1.4 for building the full J2EE
Geronimo. Due to some Corba incompatibilities with 1.5 or so. If I
just build the minimal profile, can I then do everything with 1.5?

Thanks :-)

 S.

Re: Building 1.1-Minimal

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On 6/10/06, Stefan Arentz <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand that I need to use Java 1.4 for building the full J2EE
> Geronimo. Due to some Corba incompatibilities with 1.5 or so. If I
> just build the minimal profile, can I then do everything with 1.5?

The CORBA problems come up as part of the OpenEJB build.  If you only
check out Geronimo, not OpenEJB, it should download an OpenEJB binary
and I think build fully under 1.5 (including the full J2EE
assemblies).  However, there's not normally a reason to build under
1.5, since you can just build under 1.4 and then run it under 1.5.
(Also, depending on how recent the OpenEJB binary is, it may not work
to just have it download as part of the build.)

> The reason that I'm doing this is that I want to understand for
> example how the jetty-deployer module works. When I search in the svn
> checkout then I only find a deployment plan for this module. Not the
> actual source. And from what I see now during a 'maven new' it looks
> like it just gets binaries for those modules.

The deployment plans are under configs (e.g. configs/jetty-deployer).
The modules are under modules (e.g. modules/jetty-builder).

Thanks,
    Aaron

Re: Building 1.1-Minimal

Posted by Stefan Arentz <st...@gmail.com>.
On 6/10/06, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The new5 assembly phase will build the j2ee and minimal distributions
> for both jetty and tomcat. So, 'maven new' will build the minimal
> release. It should be possible to assemble only the minimal release,
> by cd'ing into assemblies/minimal-jetty-server (or minimal-tomcat-
> server)

Great. Takes a very long time though, and I see things like:

Attempting to download geronimo-common-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar.
16:12:54,598 INFO  [DependencyVerifier] Attempting to download
[...]

is that normal behaviour? Is it really trying to get those artifacts
from a whole bunch of mirrors and failing?

The reason that I'm doing this is that I want to understand for
example how the jetty-deployer module works. When I search in the svn
checkout then I only find a deployment plan for this module. Not the
actual source. And from what I see now during a 'maven new' it looks
like it just gets binaries for those modules.

I guess what I need to know is, how do I get the source code for modules?

 S.

Re: Building 1.1-Minimal

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,
Comments inline...

On Jun 10, 2006, at 8:03 AM, Stefan Arentz wrote:

> Goedenmiddag!
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the 1.1 minimal release. I
> would like to build it from source code but I don't know how.

The new5 assembly phase will build the j2ee and minimal distributions
for both jetty and tomcat. So, 'maven new' will build the minimal
release. It should be possible to assemble only the minimal release,
by cd'ing into assemblies/minimal-jetty-server (or minimal-tomcat-
server)

> I could not find instructions on how to build the minimal profile with
> jetty. Does anyone have a recipe for that?
>
> Am I correct that I need to stay current with
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/branches/1.1/
>
> until the 1.1 final release is tagged?

Correct.

> I understand that I need to use Java 1.4 for building the full J2EE
> Geronimo. Due to some Corba incompatibilities with 1.5 or so. If I
> just build the minimal profile, can I then do everything with 1.5?

To my knowledge, not something we intended to support. There isn't an
explicit 'minimal' goal. So, you'd have to figure out what modules/
configs that you need before running the assembly.

--kevan