Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christoph Sch?nfeld <cs...@alcedis.de> on 2001/11/01 10:48:50 UTC

Tomcat and FHS conformance

why do the RPMs obtainable from jakarta.apache.org place Tomcat in /var/tomcat? The FHS says /var should contain "variable data" but Tomcat is a program. So actually it belongs into /usr/lib/tomcat or somewhere else. But the classes and config files definitely do not belong into /var, right?

I also feel a bit uncomfortable putting my webapps below $TOMCAT_HOME because it looks like they were part of the Tomcat distribution.

I'd like to have a clear separation of the webapps and Tomcat just like the separation of the Apache binaries from web content (/var/www on Debian or /var/lib/httpd on Redhat). For me, they should be placed in /var/webapps or /var/lib/tomcat/webapps.

How do you see this? Does the current organization have Windows-portability reasons?

Christoph

This message has been posted through the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q.
on line forum, and can be seen at:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=8>
For more informations about the on-line Jakarta forums, please go to:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/>