Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Berlin Brown <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/10 14:44:12 UTC

Windows support

Hello, I am not a JVM guru like the others, just a long-time Java
advocate and sit-back-and-watch Harmony person.  I have a comment, I
know there will be a strong interest in getting an Apache backed
system on Linux/Solaris/Mac environments.  It would be nice to see a
strong effort for Windows support.  One of the key selling points of
Java is its portability.   Having a Windows port would be key.   And,
we all love to hate Windows, but it is pretty pervasive.  It would be
nice if the Windows support was part of the initial focus and not an
after thought like some of the research Open-Source/JavaVMs that are
out now.

*Reasons*

Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
they won't admit it.

I think that as more developers are interested in Java, they will
expect Windows support and consider Java as option for development of
Desktop Applications.

Also, I would suggest a port of C-Code Kaffe/GCJ JavaVM code to a
Microsoft backed compiler, possibly Visual C++ 6/7.  Or at least
provide build support for the Windows platforrm.

-- Just my 2 cents.

Re: Windows support

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 10, 2005, at 8:44 AM, Berlin Brown wrote:

> Hello, I am not a JVM guru like the others, just a long-time Java
> advocate and sit-back-and-watch Harmony person.  I have a comment, I
> know there will be a strong interest in getting an Apache backed
> system on Linux/Solaris/Mac environments.  It would be nice to see a
> strong effort for Windows support.  One of the key selling points of
> Java is its portability.   Having a Windows port would be key.   And,
> we all love to hate Windows, but it is pretty pervasive.  It would be
> nice if the Windows support was part of the initial focus and not an
> after thought like some of the research Open-Source/JavaVMs that are
> out now.
>
> *Reasons*
>
> Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
> that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
> also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
> they won't admit it.
>
> I think that as more developers are interested in Java, they will
> expect Windows support and consider Java as option for development of
> Desktop Applications.
>
> Also, I would suggest a port of C-Code Kaffe/GCJ JavaVM code to a
> Microsoft backed compiler, possibly Visual C++ 6/7.  Or at least
> provide build support for the Windows platforrm.

There's no reason why this won't run on Windows.  It would be insane
not to.  We want this to be a universal, portable effort.  It will
simply come down to where the Harmony-Platform interface is, and we
should be aware that the world is bigger than posix threads and
berkely sockets :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Windows support

Posted by Matthew French <ma...@camary.co.za>.
Berlin Brown said:
> Don't get me wrong, I am a long-time linux/unix user.  Some will argue
> that Java is for server-side Linux/Solaris and this is true.  But, I
> also see that many Java developers tend to love windows even though
> they won't admit it.

FWIW: I think running on Windows should be an important goal. Although for
a different reason: having the discipline to be properly cross platform
means that porting to more obscure platforms such as mobile phones should
be easier. And hopefully it enforces consistency on the code...

Anyway, the bulk of the work should be in the libraries, and I would
expect that most of this would already be cross platform as they are
implemented in Java.

- Matthew

Re: Windows support

Posted by Berlin Brown <be...@gmail.com>.
Cool, an assignment.

Hehe.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Berlin Brown <be...@gmail.com>.
Java by its very nature should be platform independent(to some
degree).  I merely ask that one of those platforms should be Windows.
How many open source java libraries have you used on Windows?  Or at
least, wouldn't you agree that many others use open source java
libraries.  Many of these libraries exist under the apache umbrella.
Just to name a few, hibernate, lucene, jakarta-commons, tomcat, jboss,
eclipse.  So, I think a "working" windows java vm would make the
Harmony project very interesting.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Mark Wielaard <ma...@klomp.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 10:40 -0300, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> It should be noted that GCJ already works pretty well on Windows, you
> can get it as part of MingW, which is a native port of GCC for Win32.

Some packages and instructions available from:
http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc_mingw.htm

See also the Compiling Eclipse applications for Windows with GCJ/MinGW
tutorial http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~eclipse/6-Compiling.pdf
And http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~eclipse/

And the attached message was just send to the GNU Classpath mailinglist
for PocketPC/Windows users.

Note that I have never used windows so I don't know how well all this
works in practise.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Windows support

Posted by Fernando Lozano <fe...@lozano.eti.br>.
Hi,

You are completely out of context here. We are not creating an open
webserver -- we already have many of them, best of breed and market
leaders. You can use the Apache Httpd, Apache Tomcat, Jboss, Jonas and
others. Microsoft IIS was long left behind. I know this is difficult to
perceive at some companies, but take a look at www.netcraft.com and see
what are the most used webservers on the net.

We already have our very successfull scripting languages, also market
leaders, like PHP and JSP. Our databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird
and others) are not yet the market leaders but they are growing very
fast and getting many former Microsoft or Oracle customers. And all
these are easy to learn, set-up and use. Companies like Google and
Amazon make lots of money using them, vendors like JBoss, MySQL and Red
Hat also have big profits, and there's a very high probability that your
bank uses these also.

But many of the software packages I told you depends on a Java VM to
run. So far the one we use most of the time is not our Java VM, it isn't
a free software Java VM, but a proprietary one made by Sun Microsystem.
This list aims to share the experience of many free software projects
that are creating a Java VM to replace Sun one and so get the result in
a shorter time frame.

So, if you do not develop Java software, you probably are on the wrong
list. :-)

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Re: Windows support

Re: Windows support

Posted by Fernando Lozano <fe...@lozano.eti.br>.
Hi Kalecser,

Free software benifits everyone, and quality free software for Windows
would be a great incentive for people to try also free OSes.

Re: Windows support

Posted by FaeLLe <mr...@gmail.com>.
Absolutely agreed Windows support is a pure must if we want this to be wide
spread and in use.

--
www.FaeLLe.com <http://www.FaeLLe.com>

Re: Windows support

Posted by Mika Hirvonen <hi...@gmail.com>.
On 5/11/05, Vitaly Harisov <vi...@harisov.name> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:06:23 +0300, Ricky Clarkson
> <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Debian's java-package package does package Sun's JVM, but the user has
> > to download it.  I think this is more legal issues than idealism.
>
> Gentoo does it in the same way.

JPackage does it as well. They have a .nosrc.rpm that creates normal
binary RPMs from Sun's JDK tarball.

--
  Mika Hirvonen <hi...@gmail.com>

Re: Windows support

Posted by Vitaly Harisov <vi...@harisov.name>.
<ri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian's java-package package does package Sun's JVM, but the user has
> to download it.  I think this is more legal issues than idealism.

Gentoo does it in the same way.

--
The End

Re: Windows support

Posted by Ricky Clarkson <ri...@gmail.com>.
Debian's java-package package does package Sun's JVM, but the user has
to download it.  I think this is more legal issues than idealism.
Take a look at the indemnification clause in the JVM licence, for one.
 There are lots of legal raisins to overcome with Sun Java.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, but that should already be part of APR's goals, so this would
just be a reason for somebody (me) to make it happen.

Ryan

--
Ryan Bloom
rbb@apache.org

Re: Windows support

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> For the APR-impared between me (me, for example) could you elaborate a
> little more what this means?

Currently APR requires that all memory allocation be done within a
"pool".  You don't malloc and free memory directly, you allocate within
the pool, then either clear it (allowing the memory to be reused all in
one shot), or destroy it (passing the memory back to the OS).  Pools are
hierarchical, so you can create child pools that are intended to be used
for temporary allocations.  The end result is less memory bookkeeping,
but the program tends to use more memory because you're not cleaning it
up ASAP.  Pools are also used to manage other resources (network
sockets, file handles, etc) and even arbitrary user defined resources
via callbacks.

This fits very well with the way something like the Apache HTTPD works,
where you might have a bunch of resources that are scoped to the
request, but after the request you can just throw them all away.  It
doesn't necessarily fit with the use patterns of other programs, so Ryan
is suggesting that it would be worthwhile to make the use of pools in
APR optional in some way.

-garrett

Re: Windows support

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Kalecser Kurtz <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Bob <ci...@earthlink.net>.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Kalecser Kurtz wrote:
> I fail to see the point on writing open source software for Windows,
> on windows we already have SUN's and IBM's java impl and I think noone
> would care to have an free(from freedom) java impl.

Some shortsighted people said the same when mozilla started ;-)

You a lot of people fail to see is that the world is smarter than XYZ
Corp. (interestingly enough, even Bill Joy said that out loud once).

Some people like 'free software' for its freedom. Some people like 'open
source' for its openness.

I like it because, if done well, it creates communities and communities
(as once Sam said) are your best copyleft *and* your best driving force
*and* your best catalitic engine.

Not only "given enough eyeballs bugs gets fixed", but given enough
modularity and 'harmonic' reuse, people are free to innovate and
experiment, and communities are free to pick up the best solutions.

On the outside, a JVM needs to pass a TCK in order to be certified and
called "java". But on the inside, there is no tall order on how you
should implement the JIT compiler or the GC algorithm, and these are
great places for people to experiment, including native precompilation
and/or OS-level security sandboxing.

Let me tell you, the day a 'free' JVM will run your code faster and as
reliably on Windows, people will switch, just like the use apache httpd
instead of IIS.

None of us wants to get a JVM that is compliant but a sluggish pure
accademic exercise.

We want to rock the java planet and build bridges between all different
communities and pieces, existing and not, already open sourced or
yet-to-be-donated.

We might fail. Yes, this is known and recognized. But at least we won't
feel guilty anymore for not having tried.

--
Stefano.

Re: Windows support

Posted by Matthew French <ma...@camary.co.za>.
Kalecser Kurtz said:
> I fail to see the point on writing open source software for Windows,
> on windows we already have SUN's and IBM's java impl and I think noone
> would care to have an free(from freedom) java impl.

We have a customer writing a parallel computing application in Java.
Multithreaded performance on Windows sucks big time. But there were also
all sorts of performance problems running under Solaris on an 8 processor
Sparc box.

Currently they are using JBoss with a view to having a cluster of many
J2EE servers. (Which is kind of like swatting a fly with a tank.) And to
make it more interesting, it looks like JBoss will be running on Windows
thanks to the complete lack of awareness about Linux in the organisation.

Now if they had an open source JVM that gave the performance they needed,
with the ability to customise the garbage collector (a big source of the
performance problem) then it would be a win for open source, hopefully
some more developers for the project, and one more big step towards
Linux/BSD in this organisation.

Of course, if developers are not inclined to write the Windows port - I
know it does not hold much interest for me - then we cannot make them. But
we can still design for Windows support...

- Matthew

Re: Windows support

Posted by Kalecser Kurtz <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Windows support