Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tim Pritlove <ti...@ccc.de> on 2002/08/09 22:08:32 UTC

Creating transparent images

Hello,

I know this might be a bit off-topic but I hope this is easy to answer so I
just go ahead :-)

I want to create web site buttons using SVG with some script foo. The
buttons should be text on transparent background.

Studying the SVG specs I got the impression that the default background of
any graphic is "transparent". So I would expect that when I place nothing
but text on my canvas, it should result in what I want.

Viewing the result after conversion with Batik and the Adobe SVG Plug-In, I
always get a white background as my default which is definitely not what I
want.

Maybe I am just understanding something completely wrong. Can somebody
please bring on the right path?

Thanks in advance
Tim

---
Tim Pritlove, Discordian Evangelist, <ti...@ccc.de>
---
If organized religion is the opium of the masses then
disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe.

Creating transparent images

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

TP> I want to create web site buttons using SVG with some script
TP> foo. The buttons should be text on transparent background.

TP> Viewing the result after conversion with Batik and the Adobe SVG
TP> Plug-In, I always get a white background as my default which is
TP> definitely not what I want.

    I get transparent backgrounds using the svgrasterizer.  I think it
only does it for some formats (so JPEG for instance does not support
transparency, try PNG).