Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.U. Anderegg" <ha...@bluewin.ch> on 2003/04/05 14:31:06 UTC

A FOP Renderer based on Java Printing System and Grapics2D

The Java Printing System enables applications to:

- Print Java 2D™ graphics, text and images.
- Control document-composition functions such as soft collating, reverse
order printing, and booklet printing.
- Invoke printer-specific functions such as duplex (two-sided) printing and
stapling.
- Print on all platforms, including Windows and Solaris.
- Data stream generation by platform printer drivers.

My renderer, based on the Java Printing System and Graphics2D: pure Java
does a perfect job. I will send sources, classes, documentation on request
to my e-mail address.

Highlights

- Operation: silent or page/printer dialog
- direct printing or output to file
- Supported printers, data streams: PCL, AFP, Postscript, Text, PDF
(PDFWriter required)
- Precise output control by setting page/printer properties of drivers
- Several renderings per run
- Image Formats: JPEG, PNG, GIF (with JAI Image I/O Tools 1.0-rc also BMP,
TIF)
- SVG Support
- Controls per print job
	o Destination file
	o Media sizes, bins, trays
	o Page orientation
	o Sides: simplex/duplex handling
	o Print quality
	o Chromaticity: color/monochrom
	o Copies
	o Finishings
	o NumberUp, Imposition

Test Environment

- Win2K
- FOP 0.20.5rc2
- Java 1.4.1
- JAI Image I/O Tools 1.0-rc
- Batik-1.5

Sample Printer Configuration:

// double-slash is comment

// debug: lists system printer and and fontinfo
debug

// silent: dont prompt page/printer dialog
silent

// destination: "print to file"
destination=file:///C:/fop-0.20.4rc/AnyExtensions/print2D.txt

//copies=1

// printer: select an installed printer
printer=hp psc 700 series
//printer=HP LaserJet 5M
//printer=HP LaserJet 4/4M PS
//printer=Generic / Text Only
//printer=Acrobat PDFWriter

// attributes: specify JPS attributes
// PORTRAIT=102 ISO_A4=414
attributes=102 414

// SVGimageResolution: the renderer has SVG rasterized to the available area
size at this resolution
SVGimageResolution=300

// adjustPrinterResolution: scale at resolutions 72 or 150 or 300 or 600 to
fit the available area most closely
adjustPrinterResolution

// map standard fonts to platform fonts
HelveticaMap=Arial
TimesMap=Times New Roman
CourierMap=Courier New

Re: A FOP Renderer based on Java Printing System and Grapics2D

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 07:31 AM 4/5/2003, you wrote:
>My renderer, based on the Java Printing System and Graphics2D: pure Java
>does a perfect job. I will send sources, classes, documentation on request
>to my e-mail address.

JU

hmm. Am I getting blind in my old age - I don't see an email
address in your post; for that matter I don't even see a signature   ;-)

Have you considered folding your work into FOP  ?

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

         In theory, there is no difference between
         theory and practice, but in practice there is.

                 (Jan L.A. van de Snepsheut (1953-1994), late of CalTech)

Re: A FOP Renderer based on Java Printing System and Grapics2D

Posted by Jim Wright <jw...@palgraphics.com>.
Hey J.U.

Sounds very interesting. I'd love to see your implementation of the
Java Printing System...

Please email it to me at this address.

Many thanks!

jw