Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by mourya <dn...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/02 12:13:29 UTC

How to analyse the Jmeter results

Hi Guys,

I ran a test on Jemter and i got some results. but i dont know how to
analyze them.

Can you please explain terms like Throughput,90%Line etc...how to analyze
the Graph results. i se some lines in green.blue colors
http://old.nabble.com/file/p28117560/Jmeter.xlsx Jmeter.xlsx
http://old.nabble.com/file/p28117560/Graph%2Bresults.JPG Graph+results.JPG

Re: How to analyse the Jmeter results

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi
first understand what the terms mean
e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average

Things like average,median and standard deviation mostly make sense in the
context of a single request sample. (unless you are testing similar pages
like browsing a product catalogue pages)
Lets say you only test HomePage and and rerun your test with new graphs then
for the same load the average and median should be very close to each other
and below the value you want your pages to respond in and the standard
deviation should be small and your graph should be fairly flat then you can
conclude that your system is probably fine at the load you are testing at.
However you can have different cases. for e.g.
Say your standard deviation is very high. Then there is some problem causing
some requests to behave very differently (perhaps there are synchronization,
single threading problems).  Say your standard deviation starts out small
but keeps getting higher was time passes (perhaps there are memory leaks).
Suppose your median is much lower than average, then it probably indicates
that a few requests are behaving badly (perhaps your application doesnt
cache correctly). You cant identify the fcause of the problem , you can only
identify that a problem exists. After this you would have to profile your
application with the load to see whats wrong.

Throughput is generally used to see how many requests / second your system
can handle. Higher values are good., You normally have to keep increasing
load so that you can check how througput varies. it should increase for
sometime , then flatten , and then finally fall.
see for e.g.
http://books.google.com/books?id=HTX8DyD0WzkC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=throughput+plateau&source=bl&ots=7q_PG_dMZ9&sig=dd3MU3vNIlIL_Rs01Tx89i39yms&hl=en&ei=hSy2S7bKBIHkswOhs8WBAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=throughput%20plateau&f=false

regards
deepak