Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Flame <fl...@berkshire.rr.com> on 2005/06/27 22:26:48 UTC

Can it be done?

Hi again,

I'm still trying to figure out a few things in this system, but I could
use a little guidance as to if it's possible to accomplish my goal at all.

I'd like to use XMLBeans in a Formatter, replacing the existing
XMLFormatter in the java.util.logging package.  I have written an
adaptation of the existing XML DTD as a schema document, but now I face
a problem.  The logging framework has no guarantee of closure.  If the
java runtime crashes or is killed unexpectedly, the framework may not be
able to append a closing tag at the end.

There is a secondary application being developed which is expected to be
able to parse and filter these log files.

I'd like to be able to use XMLBeans on both the write side and the read.

Now, I hope I've explained this well enough, I'm at a loss as to how to
make this work, or even if it can work.  Attached is the current schema
definition file, and the current form of XMLFormatter replacement which
attempts to use it.    Unfortunately it outputs entries similar to:

<xml-fragment millis="1119901463411"
date="2005-06-27T15:44:23.411-04:00" sequence="0"
level="1000"><log:logger
xmlns:log="logformat.util.physics.mcla.org"/><log:thread
xmlns:log="logformat.util.physics.mcla.org">10</log:thread><log:class
xmlns:log="logformat.util.physics.mcla.org">java.util.logging.LogManager$RootLogger</log:class><log:method
xmlns:log="logformat.util.physics.mcla.org">log</log:method><log:message
xmlns:log="logformat.util.physics.mcla.org">Testing severe
warning</log:message></xml-fragment>

And this isn't quite what I hoped for obviously.

I'm open to any and all suggestions,

Thanks

  ~ Stephen