Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David <am...@starhub.net.sg> on 2003/11/03 18:34:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication System does not work everytime computer restarts

Hi guys,

I have a question. I managed to get basic authentication for my HTTP
server up and running.
However, I notice that everytime I restart my server (or I restart my
computer), the authentication does not work anymore.

It will only work if I re- create the .htpasswd file again. I wonder why
is this so.

I am current using

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/SMA6306">

#AuthUserFile "C:\.htpasswd"
#AuthName "This is a protected server hosted by David Wong"
#AuthType Basic
#Require valid-user

            Options None
            AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

I believe using AuthConfig will allow me to use my password file without
always having to re-create it everytime I restart my server.

Many thanks for your time and attention and all advice and help will be
most appreciated.

Regards
David

Re: [users@httpd] Authentication System does not work everytime computer restarts

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
[Plain text please.  Outlook/Word creates some obscenely awful html.]

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, David wrote:
> I have a question. I managed to get basic authentication for my HTTP
> server up and running.
> However, I notice that everytime I restart my server (or I restart my
> computer), the authentication does not work anymore.

Define "does not work anymore".  What EXACTLY happens?  What do the error
and access log say?

> <Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/SMA6306">
>
> #AuthUserFile "C:\.htpasswd"

Use forward slashes.

> #AuthName "This is a protected server hosted by David Wong"
> #AuthType Basic
> #Require valid-user

Why is everthing commented out?

>             Options None
>             AllowOverride AuthConfig

> I believe using AuthConfig will allow me to use my password file without
> always having to re-create it everytime I restart my server.

AllowOverride affects ONLY .htaccess files.  It has no effect on
httpd.conf.

Joshua.