Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2017/01/05 00:32:37 UTC

Comitter how-to page, step-by-step instructions for making releases

I did and bravely published a page to help future Committers (by which
I mean people who can commit directly into the Apache repo, and
certainly can do releases too). It's mostly to help in technical
things, such as it describes how to make a FreeMarker release. But
there's some project policies there too. Please take look, tell me
what to change, what to add:

http://freemarker.org/committer-howto.html

If anyone wants to edit it, it's here:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator-freemarker-site.git.
GitHub mirror: https://github.com/apache/incubator-freemarker-site.
Branch: master
File: src/main/docgen/book.xml

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Comitter how-to page, step-by-step instructions for making releases

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Thursday, January 5, 2017, 8:42:05 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Thank you Daniel.
> I hope I didn't mess the line wrapping... please let me know if there is a
> best practice for this.

No big deal, it's just that it generates unwanted diff when I commit
some other change later, as XXE always reformats the whole XML. We
recommended using XXE for the editing (as described in
src/manual/en_US/docgen-help/editors-readme.txt). This, by default
does hard wrapping with max line width of 78. Perhaps we should just
use no hard wrapping. Will try how well Git handles long lines. (The
problem back then was that even if you have only changed one letter,
the diff has shown the whole line as changed, which wasn't very
helpful for long paragraphs and no hard wrapping. Sure enough, if your
change caused re-wrapping, you weren't better of.)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Daniel.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Pull request created.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Thanks, published. (I can do the asf-site part quickly, no problem.)

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.