Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/25 05:44:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Disable keepalive at runtime

Currently I have an runtime environment variable to tell if a client
want keepalive or not, specified by their cookie value,

e.g.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} ^.*NO_KEEPALIVE=TRUE.*$
RewriteRule ^.*$ - [E=NO_KEEPALIVE:1]

Is it possible, based on the environment variable to runtime disable
the HTTP keepalive function?

[Algorithm]

if envirnment_variable["NO_KEEPALIVE"] == 1 then

	KeepAlive = Off

Or any similar way to set?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Disable keepalive at runtime

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
n Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> no-keepalive is the environment variable you want to set
>    ^
> No dash, surely? Pretty sure it is just 'nokeepalive'.

you're right -- dunno how I managed to load/include the URL and still
manage to get it wrong

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: [users@httpd] Disable keepalive at runtime

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 11:03 -0400, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Justin Pasher
> <ju...@newmediagateway.com> wrote:
> > howard chen wrote:
> >>
> >> Currently I have an runtime environment variable to tell if a client
> >> want keepalive or not, specified by their cookie value,
> >>
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} ^.*NO_KEEPALIVE=TRUE.*$
> >> RewriteRule ^.*$ - [E=NO_KEEPALIVE:1]
>

> no-keepalive is the environment variable you want to set
    ^
No dash, surely? Pretty sure it is just 'nokeepalive'.

> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#special

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Disable keepalive at runtime

Posted by howard chen <ho...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> no-keepalive is the environment variable you want to set
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#special

Great Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] Disable keepalive at runtime

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Pasher <ju...@newmediagateway.com>.
howard chen wrote:
> Currently I have an runtime environment variable to tell if a client
> want keepalive or not, specified by their cookie value,
>
> e.g.
>
> RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} ^.*NO_KEEPALIVE=TRUE.*$
> RewriteRule ^.*$ - [E=NO_KEEPALIVE:1]
>

> Is it possible, based on the environment variable to runtime disable
> the HTTP keepalive function?
>
> [Algorithm]
>
> if envirnment_variable["NO_KEEPALIVE"] == 1 then
>
> 	KeepAlive = Off
>

> Or any similar way to set?
>
> Thanks.

You're not going to be able to do that. Thinking about the programming
logistics of it, it would require the apache processes to be able to
dynamically change configuration options on the fly, which sounds like
it would be extremely messy. It would also have to be defined in some
sort of "user created" container context, and KeepAlive is only support
in the global config and vhosts.

--
Justin Pasher