Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Beard, Brian" <Br...@mybir.com> on 2008/07/09 15:03:57 UTC

performance feedback

I just did an update from lucene 2.2.0 to 2.3.2 and thought I'd give
some kudos for the indexing performance enhancements.

The lucene indexing portion is about 6-8 times faster. Previously we
were doing ~60-120 documents per second, now we're between 400-1000,
depending on the type of document, size, and how many fields there are.
Haven't done a formal comparison side by side, but certainly is
substantially faster.

We index from 5 to 20 fields per document (in serial through
IndexWriter). Most are 3-5K total size, but can vary quite a bit. Total
index size (eventually) will be ~15G.

Thanks,

Brian Beard