Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Kevin A. Smith" <Ke...@sas.com> on 2002/11/19 16:27:07 UTC

[OT] What's a CMS?

I respectfully disagree on your Blogging != CMS assertion. At least for the more fully-featured blogging systems (Roller, Radio, and Blogger). I think of these as one-person/single-site CMS's.

--Kevin

Posted by John Bigboote <y0...@yahoo.com>.
This argument boils down to whether you think the term
"content management system" refers to a spectrum of
products, or a type of sophisicated dynamic publishing
system.  In my mind, a CMS falls into the latter.

IMO, a true CMS enables an organization to manage
content delivery by defining rules governing how
content is published, roles for who can
create/approve/publish content, workflows that dictate
the process that content undergoes prior to
publishing, and versioning that enables content
changes to be committed, rolled back and snapshotted
[sic].

Bloggers rarely have this level of content control.
They simply serve up the latest submitted content
without enforcing an approval process or publishing
rules.  As such, bloggers fail to meet the basic
criteria that defines a CMS.

John