Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Terry Healy <th...@bnl.gov> on 2012/10/08 16:13:44 UTC

Collecting error messages from Mappers

Hi-

Is there a simple way for error output / debug information generated by
a Mapper to be collected in one place for a given M/R job run? I guess
what I'm hoping for is sort of the reverse of a Distributed Cache function.

Can anyone suggest an approach?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Collecting error messages from Mappers

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.
If it is only to get a parse overview of the run you can use counters. But
you shouldn't overuse them.
You can for example count exceptions by type (but by message is not a good
approach unless you are sure that the message is constant.)

Regards

Bertrand

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Collecting error messages from Mappers

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Collecting error messages from Mappers

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux

Re: Collecting error messages from Mappers

Posted by Bertrand Dechoux <de...@gmail.com>.

--
Bertrand Dechoux