Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by hiten pandya <hp...@lycos.co.uk> on 2001/10/12 23:27:53 UTC

regarding mod_cgid.c

hi all,

i have found out that the shell path has been hard-coded in
mod_cgid.c:

(/modules/generators/mod_cgid.c)
#define SHELL_PATH "/bin/sh"

hey guys, correct me if i am wrong but, i think shell paths, and
things like that would be better off not hard coded in the code.

i think, we should have a seperate file in the root of each
platform directory (like win32) where all the hard-coded values
reside.

The advantage is, we or the advanced user will have more
control on where to make changes and i think it would much
easier...

thanks,
hiten pandya

Hiten Pandya
hpandya@lycos.co.uk

Free E-mail - Lycos UK - http://www.lycos.co.uk
Get your domain for £9.90 - http://lycos.uk.domainnames.com/default.asp?caller=lycos_ef
Play now to win £1 Million - http://www.thedailydraw.com/mainframe.cfm?source=lycos

Re: regarding mod_cgid.c

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> > (/modules/generators/mod_cgid.c)
> > #define SHELL_PATH "/bin/sh"
>
> That's true.  But it turns out that that line is not even used.  (I'll
> remove it.)

Committed.  Thanks for the heads-up.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: regarding mod_cgid.c

Posted by Cliff Woolley <cl...@yahoo.com>.
On 12 Oct 2001, hiten pandya wrote:

> i have found out that the shell path has been hard-coded in
> mod_cgid.c:
>
> (/modules/generators/mod_cgid.c)
> #define SHELL_PATH "/bin/sh"
>
> hey guys, correct me if i am wrong but, i think shell paths, and
> things like that would be better off not hard coded in the code.

That's true.  But it turns out that that line is not even used.  (I'll
remove it.)  The SHELL_PATH for each platform is defined by APR.  A
program tells APR that the process it is creating is an APR_SHELLCMD and
APR just magically spawns the right shell to run it in.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA