Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com> on 2015/02/27 12:25:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Allow configuring system VMs to use local storage at zone level

Currently it is not possible to configure system VMs to use local storage on a per zone basis. Since it is a global config (system.vm.use.local.storage), either it is enabled for all zones or none. The idea is to make it a zone level config.
The current zone level setting of 'enabling local storage for user VMs' won't be impacted. Now there will be an additional setting for system VMs as well.

I will create a tracking bug and FS for this.

Comments?

Thanks,
Koushik

Re: [DISCUSS] Allow configuring system VMs to use local storage at zone level

Posted by Prashant Kumar Mishra <pr...@citrix.com>.
Thanks Koushik for proposing the feature.
I would like to take up testing  for this feature ,I will be uploading
test plan shortly.

Thanks
prashant

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>
wrote:

> Currently it is not possible to configure system VMs to use local storage
> on a per zone basis. Since it is a global config
> (system.vm.use.local.storage), either it is enabled for all zones or none.
> The idea is to make it a zone level config.
> The current zone level setting of 'enabling local storage for user VMs'
> won't be impacted. Now there will be an additional setting for system VMs
> as well.
>
> I will create a tracking bug and FS for this.
>
> Comments?

Sounds like a decent proposal to me and I have no trouble foreseeing use
cases.

--
Erik

Re: [DISCUSS] Allow configuring system VMs to use local storage at zone level

Posted by ilya musayev <il...@gmail.com>.
Hi Koushik

Huge +1 from me

I've asked Citrix for this feature as well, wayback, its a pain when you
have mixed zones - but the feature is global.

Thanks
ilya

Posted by Harikrishna Patnala <ha...@citrix.com>.
Yes, this logic won’t work, scoped configuration parameters logic moved to ConfigDepot.
We have to use ConfigKey class to enable scope level parameters [ https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Configuration]

Thanks,
Harikrishna

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@citrix.com>.