Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Alex Ivanov <am...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/04 18:22:34 UTC

Compendium 6-7 ambiguity in Karaf 4.3 and Pax-Web 7.3.9

Hello!

I'm testing the Pax-Web in the latest Karaf 4.3.0 release and get a little
confused.

Pax-Web 7.3.9 depends on OSGi Compendium 6 and exports packages, which
versions corresponds Compendium 6 (e.g. "org.osgi.service.http.context"
package in pax-web-api).

But Karaf uses OSGi Compendium 7 in BOM with incremented versions. If we
use Karaf BOM or versions from Karaf pom files it leads to missing packages
in run-time due to package versions mismatch.

It seems we should not use Compendium 7 specs in user apps. At least for
HTTP Whiteboard services and may be some others.

Is it so? Is it expected run-time behavior?

---

WBW,
Alexey Ivanov

Re: Compendium 6-7 ambiguity in Karaf 4.3 and Pax-Web 7.3.9

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Alex,

No, you can use OSGi R7 without problem (all Karaf internal and examples are using R7).

I guess you didn’t follow the discussion on the mailing list:

1. Pax Web 8 is fully OSGi R7, but it’s not ready yet.
2. We decided to release Karaf 4.3.0 with Pax Web 7.3 to avoid to postpone Karaf 4.3.0 any longer. HTTP service R6 and R7 are very close (the main different are on annotation level, but it’s build time, not runtime). So, it’s not a problem to use R7 with Pax Web 7.3 (it’s provided scoped anyway).
3. You can use Felix HTTP instead of Pax Web if you want to be full R7 including on the HTTP service.

Regards
JB