Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Ashish <as...@yahoo.co.in> on 2011/06/13 19:32:59 UTC

Need suggestion on reading huge XLs with validating the data

Hi,
I have a requirement where client uploads spread sheet containing thousands of
rows.
different columns of a row have different data type and the data must comply
with some validation rules.e.g.

below is a sample file structure:

Column_name Variable_type field_size	i/p mask	required_field
validation_Text
P/N		String 		20				yes

qty		Integer		10				yes
Ship_From	String 		20				yes
Date		Date				MM/DD/YY	yes
Status		String		10				yes	Failed
OR Qualified

while reading the xl sheet,I need to validate the data against the above
constraints and in case of any error in the data,
I need to store the error and inform the customer.

Please let me know the best possible approach maintaining the performance of
the system.

Any early responses will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashish Gupta