Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Mike Moulton <mi...@meltmedia.com> on 2010/05/17 22:55:55 UTC

Sling 6 Release

I'm working on a couple of projects using 6-SNAPSHOT of sling. As we will soon be preparing to release these projects I'm wondering what the official word is on the release of version 6 of sling.

In the past we usually just cut our own releases of sling internally so we can point-in-time guarantee the state of our projects. Given there has been some talk recently on the release of version 6, I would love to use an official version if possible.

Regards,
Mike Moulton

:: mike moulton
:: meltmedia
::
:: mike@meltmedia.com
:: 602.648.6810 | direct
:: 602.432.2568 | iphone
:: mmoulton66 | aim

Re: why does AuthenticationHandler#extractCredentials require the HttpServletResponse parameter?

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 14:23, Clemens Wyss <cl...@mysign.ch> wrote:
> thanks for your reply, although I did read the javadoc ;-)
>
> The name of the method is extractCredentials, so I would expect it to do no more than that. Either the credentials are in the request or they are not, which is reflected in the return value. I was wondering in which case an auth handler would want to manipulate the response. Any e.g.?

extractCredentials() sometimes needs to do more than just plain
extraction, and this logic is not generic but depends on the specific
authentication mechanism. Typically it might send some responses back
to the client, while returning AuthenticationInfo.DOING_AUTH.

The OpenID auth handler does that, for example:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/extensions/openidauth/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/openidauth/impl/OpenIDAuthenticationHandler.java

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek
alexander.klimetschek@day.com

RE: why does AuthenticationHandler#extractCredentials require the HttpServletResponse parameter?

Posted by Clemens Wyss <cl...@mysign.ch>.

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.

Re: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
I created a strawman bundle list here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AudnkT8nkcNfdGMtLXhSNFpzWjFKYnVGTmFobVVxRWc&gid=0

<http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AudnkT8nkcNfdGMtLXhSNFpzWjFKYnVGTmFobVVxRWc&gid=0>This
does not include formauth or anything else that is on the current bundle
list.

I haven't had a chance to rationalize this against what's in JIRA. Perhaps
in some cases we can use the most recent release. On the flip side, in the
case of the JCR-related bundles, we may want to bump those up to 3.x version
numbers. Like I said, just a strawman.

Justin

RE: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
Hi

> we should definitly move the auth api into the sling api bundle (as
> discussed) and as Felix mentioned, we should have form auth ready as
> everyone needs this when playing around with Sling.

If we move auth api into the sling api shouldn't we finish the
discussion about the decoupling of ResourceResolverFactory from the
auth api?
Felix made a proposal on [1] which I find is very good and I made a
suggestion to get around the life cycle problem without the need of
Felix ExtHttpService on [2] with a new SlingRequestListener . If the
auth api should be moved into the sling api for the Sling 6 release,
I propose to bring this discussion to an end before the release.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/SLING/user-authentication.html
[2] http://markmail.org/message/aovh7lll4w6uwepv

best regards
mike

Re: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Justin Edelson  wrote
> On 5/18/10 4:06 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 18.05.2010 00:24, Justin Edelson wrote:
>>> We're closer than we were a month ago
>>> (http://markmail.org/message/xn4imwfhmuhyongk). I think we're basically
>>> done with multi-workspace support and the launchpad plugin release is
>>> done. So that leaves auth changes and some fiddling with the Jackrabbit
>>> versions.
>>
>> Plus I want to complete and validate some work on the authentication
>> support, mainly the form based authentication still needs some massaging.
> Is formauth going into the Sling 6 release? It's not in launchpad now. I
> guess we first need to review which bundles are going to be included.
>
> Also, I realized forgot Carsten's proposed modification to the
> multi-workspace support which involves deprecating a constant.

Yepp, I think I'll have this by the end of this week. Apart from this,
we should definitly move the auth api into the sling api bundle (as
discussed) and as Felix mentioned, we should have form auth ready as
everyone needs this when playing around with Sling.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Clemens Wyss <cl...@mysign.ch>.
in which use case is the (HTTPServlet)response of relevance for extracting the credentials?

Thx
Clemens

Re: Sling 6 Release

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.