Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> on 2015/04/02 21:45:38 UTC

Migration to Java 8?

Hey all,

As previously announced on Oracle’s roadmap, they will stop updating Java 7 [1] as of this month. As a consequence, I think we should discuss moving Apache ACE to Java 8. My first question is, does anybody object to that (then this is the time to speak up)?

Greetings, Marcel

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html#Java6-end-public-updates

Re: Migration to Java 8?

Posted by Jan Willem Janssen <ja...@luminis.eu>.
Hi,

I’d like to see the switch to Java 8, but can understand that not all of our users
are able to make this switch as well. Having and option to provide both as Niclas
suggested would make it a lot easier for them to continue using ACE.

> On 02 Apr 2015, at 23:41, Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl> wrote:
>
> javac -target 1.7
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/javac.html

There’s a potential issue in this approach: not all code compiled this way is
actually usable on a “real” JDK 7 due to the way covariance works. See
<https://gist.github.com/AlainODea/1375759b8720a3f9f094> for a nice example.
I’m not sure this directly affects the codebase of ACE, but we might consider
using a real JDK 7 for this.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is revolving around INAETICS and Amdatu

Luminis Technologies B.V.
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00