Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/12/20 15:22:07 UTC

Re: app skeleton based on YourCocoonBasedProjectAnt16?

Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le 20 déc. 04, à 14:39, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> ...Sorry, but I still find this too much complicated. 12 steps,
>> involving ant, command-line, xpatch are way too much complex compared
>> to my proposal which simply consists in moving files around and
>> modifying <import> elements in a centralized file...
>

> Ok, let's see your proposal in the flesh.
> We're probably seing the problem from different perspectives here.

Sure, we have the same problem: assembling a Cocoon suited to our
project's need in the most simple way.

>> ...We must come back to a binary distro which can be stripped down
>> easily and started without having to open a console window. That will
>> make Cocoon less scary...
>

> Hmm...I still think people need to be comfortable with a command-line
> to be efficient with Cocoon. you'd lose too much by sticking to point
> and click. But having such a distro wouldn't hurt for training or
> initial contact with Cocoon.

Well, here is what I need to type on the command line as a user (not
talking of developing Cocoon):
- build.sh webapp
- cocoon.sh servlet

Provide a binary distro and have cocoon.sh/bat start as servlet by
default and you can develop your entire project without ever using a
commandline prompt.

Sylvain