Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Joe Pallas <jo...@oracle.com> on 2011/10/04 23:46:49 UTC

HBase minus shell?

Could you manage an HBase deployment without the HBase shell?

Suppose, hypothetically, that there was a reason (*cough* lawyers *cough*) that you couldn’t use JRuby and, hence, the HBase shell.  I think the shell is pretty handy although I’m not sure it is essential, but I wonder what others think?

Worst case, all that functionality could be replaced with moderately tedious Java code, I suppose.

Thanks.
joe

Re: HBase minus shell?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Joe Pallas <jo...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Could you manage an HBase deployment without the HBase shell?
>
> Suppose, hypothetically, that there was a reason (*cough* lawyers *cough*) that you couldn’t use JRuby and, hence, the HBase shell.  I think the shell is pretty handy although I’m not sure it is essential, but I wonder what others think?
>
> Worst case, all that functionality could be replaced with moderately tedious Java code, I suppose.

Yes.

Some of what you get in shell can be gotten from UI (You can do split
regions in UI for example) but otherwise, you'll have to write a bit
of code Joe.

If you embark on new shell writing project, let us know (smile).

St.Ack

Re: HBase minus shell?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Yeah the shell is really just a wrapper around HTable and HBaseAdmin,
both the REST and Thrift servers also do those functions (but they are
also missing a few).

J-D