Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Olivier Thomas <ol...@inexbee.com> on 2002/07/26 00:16:28 UTC

Use an outbound SMTP proxy with James

Hi,

My James SMTP server is on a private Lan. James need first to send all my
emails to an outbound SMTP proxy on a DMZ so that this proxy can resolve
email addresses and send them to the internet.
So I need to configure James to forward automatically all the emails to the
outbound SMTP proxy and NOT resolve the address through DNS. I didn't find
any parameter to configure such a feature in James config files. Is it
possible ?
One workaround that I though about would be to configure a local DNS running
close from James ans this DNS would always resolve MX records with the
address of my outbound SMTP proxy. However I am not sure if I really can
configure a DNS to do that (technicall y feasible ?).
I would be really pleased to read your point of viezs about these 2
possibilities.

Thanks in advance,
Olivier.

RE: Use an outbound SMTP proxy with James

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I need to configure James to forward automatically all
> the emails to the outbound SMTP proxy

Look in the config.xml file for <mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">.
That is the start of your RemoteDelivery mailet.  Look in the mailet
configuration for the <gateway> tag, which is currently commented out.
Uncommented the tag, and modify the tag body to the name of your gateway
server.

	--- Noel